lytic destructive process?

jmills

Mom has been doing pretty good since her diagnoses last Sept. Had chemo which shrunk the tumour and radiation. She has been having back pain and her family doctor suggested it might just be arthritis. She just got her report from her latest CT scan from her family doctor. It says "Note there is a new lytic destructive process in the right side of the L1 vertebral body, does not extend into the spinal canal. It is presumably metastic." I have tried to look up the terms to figure out what they mean, and think it means the cancer has now spread to her back, which would explain the back pain - but I don't know why the dr wouldn't tell her that if it's the case. Does anyone know what these terms mean? Has the cancer spread?

This would be a good question for Dr. West at cancergrace.org (the previous onctalk.com has been folded into GRACE, Global Resource for Advancing Cancer Education). There's a wealth of information there, especially on lung cancer, constantly updated by a Seattle oncologist who is an internationally-recognized expert on lung cancer and who gives high priority to promptly answering questions from people like you and me. A lot of us have "dual citizenship" so to speak, and have the same usernames there as here.

If you post your question at GRACE, be sure to include the background profile information within the body of your post. Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Hi there. I do not know for sure what that means either but it does sound to me that there is a very good chance that the cancer has spread to the spine. I had lower back pain and it turned out to be cancer for me. I don't understand why somebody hasn't followed up with her on those CT results either but perhaps it has been over looked. I would follow up with her medical oncologist right away because there are things that can be done. I had radiation to my spine and have been on 2nd line chemo drugs. See my profile below. I wish you the best in your follow up and treatment plan if necessary.

Sandra