What type of Professional to go to?

Marci

Hi All,

With all these different supplements out there and also being on certain medications its so hard to know which ones would be good. My question is what is the name of a person that specializes in that? Is it a herbalist? I also see some acupunturist are both. So confused here!!!

Thanks!

Marci

Marci, you should be careful about supplements. What might be good for the typical person trying to maintain health and prevent cancer might not be good for a person who already has cancer and is on treatment for it. Some supplements can interfere with the action of certain types of chemo, and I imagine a lot of herbalists and acupuncturists are not really up on the subject. A naturopathic physician (ND) should be, but it would be best to choose one associated with a major cancer center. A number of centers now have a department devoted to complementary and alternative medicine (CAM).

To check out a specific supplement, you can look here:

http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/11570.cfm

Aloha,

Ned

Marci, I agree with Ned that you have to be careful with supplements when you are getting treatment for cancer. You can hardly go wrong, however, doing accupuncture. I know a number of people who go from their chemo infusions right to the acccupuncturist and it appears to significantly diminish negative side effects.

Judy in Orlando

Thanks guys, I do appreciate that. Yeah, I figured it wouldn't be that easy!!! My mom said the same thing that a person protecting themselves before cancer is different than one who already has it. I guess at times I am looking for a quick fix to relieve my mom's side effects etc. but have to be careful. Ned and Judy hope you are doing well.

Thanks-

Marci

You might want to talk with this doctor:

Raymond Chang MD FACP (Medical Director)

Meridian Medical Group

102 E 30th St

New York, NY 10016

(212) 683-1221

You can paste the website below into your browser.

Dr. Chang was recommended to me by Alisa (also a poster on this website). Hope this helps.

Thanks Carol for the info. I check into any options out there and then present them to my mom. Sometimes she shoots it right down but sometimes not so will try anything she is willing to do to stop this disease or at least control it.

Again thanks for the Docs name

Marci