Thank You for the Great Support I get here.....

BethAnn

My name is Beth Ann, I'm 35 yrs old, from Ohio. I'm new to this message board as my Mom was just diagnosed with Small Cell Lung Cancer on Thursday, November 20th, after a mediastinoscopy and a lung needle biospy. On Wednesday, November 26th, she was also diagnosed with this cancer advancing to the bone in her spine. We started Radiation on the 26th and now we are heading into the Chemo phase. I came here to find out what to expect, how to cope and how to help my Mom, I love her so much and I would do anything in the world to help her right now with the pain, the nausea, and the fear. I am acting as her caregiver and have decided to take a long sabatical from work. I feel my place is to be right beside my mom through this all. If any of you have any advice, please I ask you to share with me. The doctors told Mom, the time line for stage 4 SCLC is 10-11 months on average, I can't accept this and I must help her beat this time frame. I need my Mom, she is only 60 yrs old and I don't want to lose her. She is my world, my Mother, my best friend, I'm having alot of trouble accepting this and I pray to God daily that he will help my Mom. I grieve for all of the cancer patients and I pray for each of you daily. Her brain scan and her liver scan came back okay. If you have anything to offer, please feel free to advise me. I wish you all the best of everyday left with your loved ones, as I treasure each moment with my Mother and entire family and friends. This has really taught me alot. I cannot express what a great support it is to hear from people in my same shoes and I need to hear the positive things that keeps my hopes up, and I grieve with those of you who have lost your loved ones. Thanks again for helping a newcomer, I hope to be a great support back to all of you.

Love you all,

Beth Ann

Beth Ann,

Welcome to the forum here, lots of loving caring people here to support you in this fight. I am so sorry your Mom has to deal with this beast. Take one day at a time and celebrate every victory no matter how small. Remind your Mom that she is not a statistic and time lines don't mean diddly to your Higher Power! Keep laughing, loving and praying and fight as hard as you can. We will be here for you each step of the way!

Betty

BethAnn,

I'm glad you found us.

Sounds like your mother has a wonderful caregiver.

Don't focus on the calendar, just take each day one at a time.

Ask questions, ask more questions, write things down.

There are lots of medications for nausea, and pain.

Often cancer patients are depressed, and there's meds for these as well.

As far as fear goes, that's something that sharing seems to help.

We've all dealt with the fear that strikes us at diagnosis. I found it to be one of the most isolating events of my life. It helps to share experiences and stories with people who have survived the initial fear and kept going.

One foot after the other.

Hang tough. You sound like a loving daughter, and I'm sure you'll do right by your mom. There's no reason she should be in pain, or suffer nausea. Be proactive with the doctors. and good luck.

You'll be in our prayers.

MaryAnn

Beth Ann

You sound like a terrific daughter. You have a great attitude with this and you can help her stay positive through this. It can make a difference. Everyone is different with this disease. There are on this board survivors, so it can be done. Be pro-active with her treatment and ask questions. Keep us updated on how she's doing.

Dona

Beth Ann:

My dad has SCLC, diagnosed 10/2/03. He also has mets (to shoulder) and was in so much pain until radiation treatments (16x). He will finish his 4-round cycle of chemo (done over 8-wk period) next week. He has only been sick two times and other than being really draggy for a few days after chemo, he has been doing great. He continues to play music, go the the riverboats for 000 and working part time (he's 69 years old). Sounds like you will be a super caregiver! My mom is doing a wonderful job and the rest of the family has also been helping with rides to dr, etc. My dad travels 1 hr 15 mins each way to dr and treatments but gives us more time to spend together when I take him (I live 1 1/2 hrs from my parents). I remember the shock when I first found out and stayed with him in the hospital as long as I could. I felt like I was betraying him when I had to leave. Make sure you still make time for yourself -- will help clear your mind and make you feel "normal" again. My prayers are with you and your family and if you ever have any questions, just let me know!