Nebraska Senator to Have Lung Surgery

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/ ... 17954.aspx

ARTICLE:

. . . . . . . . .

From NBC’s Ken Strickland

Nebraska Republican Sen. Mike Johanns will undergo lung surgery today "as a cautionary step after a spot was found on his left lung," according to a written statement from his office.

"The surgery could involve removal of the lower lobe of the left lung,” the statement continued. “The exact nature of the spot, including whether it is cancerous, will be determined following the surgery."

Doctors discovered the spot on his lung after a routine physical in November and decided to monitor it with follow-up visits. But after an examination yesterday, doctors opted for surgery today.

The procedure will happen at Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington. Johanns office says the anticipated recovery time is 10 days.

"Senator Johanns fully expects to return to the office by March 16,” per the statement, “and he is eager to get back to representing the people of Nebraska in the U.S. Senate."

*** UPDATE *** Johann's office says no cancer was found.

After part of Johanns' lung was removed today during surgery, his office says doctors "found no cancer." According to a written statement, "Senator Johanns is in recovery after three hours of surgery today. Doctors have indicated they found no cancer."

The statement described removing Johanns' lower lobe of his left lung as "a cautionary step." He's expected to be released from the Virginia hospital tomorrow.

. . . . . . . . .

(MSNBC, Source: Ken Strickland, NBC, March 3, 2009)

Disclaimer:

The information contained in these articles may or may not be in agreement with my own opinions. They are not being posted with the intention of being medical advice of any kind.

It does seem a bit strange. They must have seen growth since the last scan. Even so, unless the shape of the nodule made things definitive, you would have expected a biopsy first. The surgery must have been VATS, or he wouldn't be back at work that quickly.

I had surgery with no positive testing either (other than CXR's which showed small growth/CT scan/PET) as it was on the outer edges of my left lower lobe and not amenable to testing. However, what I did find strange in this article is that they removed the entire lobe when there was no cancer found? I know I had a wedge performed first - that was rushed to pathology where they stated it was cancerous and my surgeon then proceeded to remove the lobe. Why would they remove the lobe and not stop at the wedge resection? If it is true I would not be happy with that surgeon. It all sounds a little suspicious to me though.

Linda

I also had surgery without a prior biopsy. But, in my case, the spiculated edge of the nodule made the doctors pretty certain it was cancer. Even then, they did a wedge resection first, and only after a biopsy confirmed it as cancer while I was waiting on the table, did they go ahead and do the lobectomy.

In reply to Ellen's post, it seems to me if they were going to deny that it was cancer, they would have done it sooner. They wouldn't first lead everyone to believe it's cancer, then come back after the surgery and say it wasn't. That's why it all seems so strange.

Bud - our two cases sound very much alike (3rd CXR showed increased growth), further testing (CT scan) showed spiculated appearance - like yours, pretty sure it was cancer. Our surgical experience was also the same - wedge first, biopsy, on to lobectomy. So, it is certainly odd that they removed the lobe don't you think? Very bizarre story. Perhaps he was honest and open at the beginning and then the "spin doctors" took over. Whatever the case may be, I am glad he is fine.

Have a good day Bud! I am off work today and since it is -39 C and since the bus was cancelled to take the kids to school we are just going to play some WII, drink hot chocolate, and stay warm. Hope it is much nicer in your neck of the woods!! Take care,

Linda

UneasyRider1 wrote:

"In reply to Ellen's post, it seems to me if they were going to deny that it was cancer, they would have done it sooner. They wouldn't first lead everyone to believe it's cancer, then come back after the surgery and say it wasn't. That's why it all seems so strange."

Gee, maybe they thought that it would look even weirder if they said he did NOT have cancer -- and THEN proceeded to remove his lung. :lol:

Ellen

"Ellen in PA"]

Gee, maybe they thought that it would look even weirder if they said he did NOT have cancer -- and THEN proceeded to remove his lung. :lol:

Ellen

LOL........ Very true.

"LovesLife"]

Bud - our two cases sound very much alike.

Yes, and pretty close to the norm for patients who don't get a separate biopsy first, I think.

"LovesLife"]

I am off work today and since it is -39 C and since the bus was cancelled to take the kids to school we are just going to play some WII, drink hot chocolate, and stay warm. Hope it is much nicer in your neck of the woods!!

Wow, it certainly was nicer here. 81 degrees F, and I managed to get in a 24 mile after work bike ride before the rain moved in. They're calling for cold and rainy the next few days, though.