Not a pleasant topic.....

Caren

I noticed a strange smell coming from dad late yesterday and into the evening. Actually he was quite potent b/c the children smelled it and commented to me about it.

So this morning I thought I would have a talk with him about his personal hygiene as I know from the past that when he's not feeling so great he tends to let things slide.

So I went into his room this morning and a very familiar and yet not very pleasant smell hit my nostrils. It reminded me very much of some of the elderly people that I cared for during my time in the Care home. I went on to talk with my dad and he informed me that he has a rash and some open sores in his groin area and under his testicles. He said that it's ok though b/c he's using cream on there. I asked if he's washing before applying the cream and he informed me that he thought the cream would wash the area ..... I must admit my stomach done a flip when he said this.

So I had a chat with him about the importance of personal hygiene and also asked if he would like me to speak to the doctor about getting some anti-biotic cream for that area as what he is using is just a barrier cream and won't clear any infection that is there and he said that he doesn't want me to.

I did read that Zinc and vitamin C is good for helping with the healing of wounds, but I'm not sure if I can give him Vitamin supplements along with the other medications.

Oh my Caren, I went through a period of this after surgery and my doc told me it was akin to jungle rot from inactivity and recommended just an over the counter cream like Tinactin. Mine took a couple months to clear up completely. It also burned like crazy to wash it but I had to do it and I used a liquid soap for sensitive skin like Dove. Like I said it burned like crazy but I had to be diligent about it to get it to clear up.

Best of luck Caren.

Donny

Hey Caren - Funny we are both night owls tonight. I actually work in a wound care clinic. Yes the smells of such wounds can be stomach turning. If the wound(s) still smells after being cleaned that could very well mean infection. Also, if his wounds get to bad and the Dr. finds out about them they may actually stop tx until the wounds heal or are healing we have seen this happen with many cancer patients and that is very sad. Also protein is the best for wound healing. Lots and lots of protein. Maybe you could ask to see them to insure they wont get to bad. Anyways, I hope you can get a bit of sleep.

Thank you both!

Calintay I am in the UK so it was around 9:15am that I think I posted that first message.

I talked my dad into allowing me to call the doctor to make a home visit and so we are now waiting for him to arrive. The soap that I have given him is a brand for sensitive skin so that should be good.

Oh Caren, I'm so sorry. It sometimes feels, I know, like one thing after another. The situation you describe is such a delicate one for men even with nurses, let alone your daughter. I applaud you on your delicacy and ability to convince your Dad to let the doctor come. Hope they get this cleared up soon because it must be very painful even if he doesn't complain.

Keep us posted.

Judy in Key West

"cornstarch" My mother, and two sisters worked in Nursing Homes and they used and still do use Cornstarch for bed sores, etc. It dries them out and allows them to heal. Creams only keep these sores soft and smelly and open.

My mother started to get bed sores and a sore in her groin area near the end of her journey, and we did cornstarch and it worked like a charm.

When I had my last heart surgery 17 months ago, I also started to get bedsores and the hospital used cornstarch too. Just pour it on like power.

God bless and good luck.

Hey Connie - Funny you should mention cornstarch I remember my grandma doing that too. Funny where I work they do not want scabs on the wounds or for them to dry out which is different than I was ever taught. But with the scabs and dryness it is hard for the cells to rejuvenate and become healthy and viable. the doctors actually debride or scrape most wounds once a week to keep the dead tissue and slough off of the wound. We actually like to see it when wounds bleed because that means they have cells that are recieving oxygen. Anyways, I used to think the same think but since working here for the last two years amazing what I have learned. LOL :D

Well Calintay, That may very well be true and I sure wouldn't doubt you, but I do know that in our neck of the woods, they do still use cornstarch for serious open bed sores. I think a lot also depends on the over all picture of the patient and where the sores are at. The U of MN used it on me. Open sores can be a breading ground for staph infection too. It's a horse apeice I'm sure. Some do things this way, some do things another way. Medical Facilities are all so different in many treatments.

I guess my feelings and thoughts for Caren are also comfort related. And having the patient comfortable if they are in pain and discomfort and if the oder is overwhelming.

Like I said, I was just offering my 2 cents worth of what they still use here in our area for bedsores and what I know worked well for me and for others. When my mother and sister were in the last or late stages of there lc journey, we did all we could to keep them comfy. I still remember the oder Caren that you mention.

My Best to you and your Dad,

Connie

Thank you, all of you!! ALL of your advice is taken on board and very much appreciated :)

The GP said that it isn't bed sores but in fact is a fungal infection and so she has prescribed some anti-fungal ointment to be applied twice daily.

She has also prescribed some codeine for the bone mets b/c when he was in the hospital they stopped one of the pain meds thinking that it could have been the cause of the sickness and diarrhea, but in doing so they left him with very mild meds that weren't helping at all.

I also spoke with his Oncologist today, who is very angry that the ward dad was admitted to didn't inform him of dad's stay with them. I have been told to stop the Tarceva and they want to see him in clinic this coming Monday to discuss what to do next.

Hi Caren. I was glad to hear that your gp made a home visit. I was going to ask if a homecare nurse was available to you. Maybe they could come and treat the infected area when needed. And I agree with others, important to get this under control as treatments may not be able to be given if he has an active infection. I know we had to wait and start mine until my wound from my abscess was mostly cleared up. Best of luck with your upcoming med onc visit.

Sandra

First Caren glad to hear it is just a fungal infection. Usually easily treated which is good!

Connie I have been debating all day whether or not to post back to you. And unfortunately I think I am going to. I don't feel that when someone puts their two cents in that you need to reply to them in such a manner. We all have different thought, ways, and remedies for things. If you don't agree fine but I was just saying what we, here in Washington would do for a pressure related ulcer and not what you in your neck of the woods would do. The fact that the Drs. I work with clean and scrape the wounds does not mean that my thoughts and feelings for anyone but inparticular Carens dad are not to have him as comfortable as possible. I was just stating that to help heal wounds there needs to be nicely rejuvenated blood cells to help with the healing process to promote healthy healing. Yes some of our patients are in excruciating pain however when they walk out our doors for the final time with a healed wound it is worth it for them and for us to have to watch them have to go through it. If we did not want them to be comfortable we would not be trying to help them heal their wounds.

Now with cornstarch you are exactly right they can put it on there. However, a wound will heal with or without cornstarch if it is going to heal. It does not have any healing components in it other than the mere fact that it can absorb drainage. Their is no miracle in it other than that. You can put anything on a wound but will it help heal it probably not. One of the only proven so called "remedies" for healing is honey. We do not use honey either not good concrete evidence of healing there. We have also used maggots in a wound and guess what yes they helped heal the wound.

So like I said many different thoughts here and I ask that you please do not insinuate that I my feelings and thoughts are not in the best interest of the people here.

If you would like to look up more information we work in partner with National Healing Corporation feel free to see what you can find on it.