Physically and emotionally drained is how I am feeling today

My eyes feel heavy and my back and tummy hurt, along with a slight sore throat. I just feel so drained right now.

This is how I felt after dad's diagnosis and failed attempt with is first line treatment. He recovered so well from all of that over the following months, that I got lulled into a false sense of security....b*stard Cancer playing games with everyone!!

On a brighter note though, dad is feeling much better today. He isn't coughing so much since starting the Codeine last night and he seems to have drunk twice as much as he has in the past few days. He's trying his hardest to eat and is managing very small amounts on regular intervals which is great. There is just one thing concerning me now, it's 6:15pm and he hasn't passed urine since getting up at 9am or opened his bowels at all today.

Push the fluids-- any fluid he will drink. You don't want him to get dehydrated or constipated so that needs to really be monitored. I think I remember that codeine can cause constipation (one of the nurse members would know for sure) so be vigilant in making him drink.

I remember that beyond tired feeling -- I hope you get some rest and take care of you so you don't make yourself sick.

Caren,

I'm so glad to hear that your dad is eating and drinking better. I'd be more worried about the lack of urine than the constipation since that is a side effect of the codeine. If either goes on for too long, I'd call your Dr.

As for you, I hope you have some relief. Is there anyone who can come and stay for an afternoon or evening to let you get some rest? You won't do your dad any good if you collape yourself.

((((Caren))))

Susan

Oh Caren. You have so much on your plate. You deserve a break. Hopefully there is someone who can lend a hand. Your dad is sure lucky to have you and I am sure he knows that. Glad to hear he is doing a bit better. Now we are worried about you. Wishing you some rest...

Sandra

Thanks ladies :) It's so good to know that I can come here and talk and vent if I need to and have people here who understand that sometimes you just need to 'let it all out'.

Dad has drunk lots of milk and water today but he's only urinated twice (It's now 10:30pm) today and not opened his bowels. If he doesn't open them in the morning I have something that should help with that and so I will give him some of that.

Hi Caren - I hear ya! It's easy to lose track of what we need to do for ourselves. If you have anyone around who can help, take advantage of it! It's okay to put yourself first every once in a while so you can regroup.

How are you doing on smoking? I have been smoke-free for almost 9 months, but still want a cigarette on a regular basis.

Take care of yourself!

Congrats on being smoke-free for 9 months, Kukla, you're doing excellent!!!

It's hard, isn't it, to keep telling yourself that although you want a cigarette, you don't need it and so therefore you don't have it?

I am actually doing amazingly well with it and very rarely have any cravings at all. I would say that over the period of 7 days if you put together my 'craving time' it would only be a couple of hours worth.

I hope that you find it easier to be without them soon!!!!