Alimta-SOB and fast heart rate?

kukla

Hello - question about Alimta. As expected, Glenn is having some SOB, mostly when he stands and starts walking. He breathes very quickly and apparently his heart rate gets very high. Turns out his heart rate while sitting is also higher than usual. NOW have to go to cardiologist, in addition to PCP, Onc, and infectious disease doc for his c diff.

Can't get in with cardiologist for a while, the new patient thing.

Has anyone had a similar experience while on Alimta with heart rate?

Happy Labor Day Weekend to all.

Kathleen

I haven't experienced Almita but I did read a brochure in the doc's office about it and yes it did say it causes SOB although I don't remember about the heart rate. My hubby has used gemzar/carbo, tarceva and zometa with both those reactions to all of them. Any fever or chills? Once I can break the fever his heart rate goes back to normal.

I've had an elevated heart rate for the better part of 3 years, ever since I started treatment. Alimta hasn't made it any worse — it's still 100-105 per minute without exertion.

But Alimta does have some odd effects which seem to defy logical explanation. One is swelling, which started in one leg. It was very touchy and had all the hallmarks of a blood clot (deep vein thrombosis or DVT), so I was sent immediately for a Doppler ultrasound, which was negative. It was then decided that the soreness was cellulitis, and several days of antibiotics cleared it up. The edema (minus the soreness) then occurred in the other leg, and a second ultrasound was negative. I was also referred to a cardiologist for an echocardiogram, but that was normal. The legs have been fine since then, and now the swelling alternates between one arm and the other, in one case with more cellulitis which also responded to antibiotics. Funny thing is, the swelling seems to be most prominent in the days just before an infusion, then after the infusion and after coming off the 3-day Decadron routine the excess water is eliminated over the next few days. Like today is Saturday and I had my last infusion Tuesday and the last Decadron tablets Wednesday, and now finally my arms are back to normal. It's been that way the last 3-4 cycles. Go figure.

Then there's the SOB. The first few months on Alimta it wasn't really shortness of breath, but rather the feeling of a restriction or soreness in my ribcage that I had to push past to get a deep breath. Once I did that, there was plenty of oxygen and I had no particular problem with walking or other exertion. But the last couple of months I really have developed shortness of breath, and the cause of that is primarily anemia. My red blood cell, hemoglobin, and hemocrit numbers have been trending down and are now all below normal, probably for the first time in my life, but the iron levels are good, so the problem is most likely with the bone marrow that has been damaged with so much chemo. So far it hasn't gotten bad enough to require transfusions, but that's a future possibility.

This Alimta is a strange one. In some ways it's been very easy for me — no problem with appetite or taste, no skin issues, no nausea, minimal aches and pains, just fatigue for a fews days, random edema, and the SOB/anemia. Aloha,

Ned

Kukla-

I just read your post about the SOB and fast heart rate-and I also had a similar question. My mom is experiencing the same symptoms, but she is on Taxotere. The racing heart upon standing and walking is very severe-it is keeping her from doing so much-almost everything. She is now on O2 almost all of the time now. Is this common? Could it also be caused by pain killers? Her symptoms are also accompanied by extreme fatigue.

What helps?

Kim

Kukla-

I was on Alimta alone for about 7 - 8 months and I did get SOB altho it was cumulative in nature and did not really present itself until farther in to treatment. It was doable, I still did my gardening and such, I just need more rest. SOB and fatigue are the two biggest side effects on Alimta.

As far as the rapid heart rate, I have always had a rapid one no matter what chemo I was on. Don't know why.

If it gets too bad, Kukla, don't take any chances. I wouldn't wait for the cardiologist if hes having lots of problems. Take him to the ER if need be. Its always better to be safe than sorry.

PLEASE let us know how things go.

Hugs - Patti B.

Interesting post. My hubby just started Tarceva about 3 wks ago and he has shortness of breath, fatigue and a spasm type cough that he can't control along with a high heart rate. I was told to watch the heart rate closely and compare the blood pressure readings. If the blood pressure is on the low side while the heart rate is high it could be a PE.

I really was hoping that the Tarceva would be easier on him but so far it's difficult.....although at least we don't have to have weekly blood transfusions right? I just wish that he felt better. The two week break we took before starting the Tarceva was just wonderful. He was walking all around the house without assistance and barely needed any oxygen. He's really frustrated now :cry: