UPDATE ON MOM

millie's girl

As many of you know, my mom had a pneumonectomy (removed her left lung) October 13th, 2009. Right after the surgery she went to CVICU and was on a ventilator. She was weaned off the vent within 24 hours. Her heart rate got up to 130-140, she spiked a temp several times. Her oxygen level dropped on nasal oxygen and she had to wear an oxygen mask. It was heartbreaking to watch her go through this. ESPECIALLY ME BEING A NURSE ... she remained in CVICU for 5 days and there were many emotional highs and lows for her and our family. She finally was transferred to what is called "intermediate care" and seemed to be doing fine. She was discharged from the hospital October 20, 2009 with Home Health & Oxygen. Well, on October 23, 2009 we had to take her back to the hospital b/c of chest pain and shortness of breath. She was diagnosed with pneumonia and probable pericarditis(infection around the lining of the heart). She was placed on 2 strong IV antibiotics. Several tests were done and she was finally discharged October 29, 2009. She is home and seems to be doing fair (I HAVE MY FINGERS CROSSED). No Oxygen (SATs 98% w/o oxygen), taking hydrocodone for pain (I THINK SHE LIKES IT :-) I DON’T BLAME HER), Duoneb & Pulmicort updrafts…CHEMO expected after total recovery from surgery…PLEASE KEEP US IN YOUR PRAYERS

I want you to know that you and your mom have been in my thoughts and prayers and will continue to be. I'm so sorry to read about all the complications your mom has had, but it sounds like she just may be on the road to recovery now. My mom had pneumonia and infection after her last surgery, plus problems with a leaking chest tube which resulted in a 3 week hospital stay, so I can relate to what you are going through.

I'll keep everything crossed her and the prayers going up for Millie. Please keep us updated .

Hugs,

Sue