Needing info

BarbaraFi

Hi, I am 49 years old and was told yesterday my lung cancer has returned. Within the past 5 1/2 years this will be my third battle. My question, where would be the nearest place that will offer Tarceva to me, I live in Kentucky. 1st time was Sept of 2004, upper right lobe removed no futher treatment due to no lymph node involvement. 2nd time was Dec 2006 lymph node in mediastitum inoperable radiation and chemo.

Yesterday was told lymph nodes in right clavical area are cancerous, due to have PET scan on Thursday for staging and return to onc. on Monday.

He is not sure if radiation can be done until he finds out if that area was radiated the last time. I believe I am more scared this time then ever before as I have had some weight loss and pain in my shoulder for the past few weeks. I have lost 40 pounds since May, pain in shoulder for past 2 months. Had a bone scan this past June all was clear, had a MRI of brain this past August all was clear. I need info on the Tarceva and words of hope from those who have had this beast as many times as me and still surviving. Also anyone else who has had it return in this area and what your line of treatment was. Thanks and I will await for responses.

Barbara

Barbara,

Any oncologist should be able to prescribe Tarceve for you if he/she thinks it appropriate. You can read more about Tarceva at www.cancergrace.org. GRACE is a physician mediated site specializing in lung cancer. The physicians there are really terrific about answering questions (though they cannot give you specific medical advice). It is free and all you need to do to ask questions is to register.

Tarceva works best under specific conditions so your oncologist should be able to help you determine if that is the best course of action. In the meantime, we are glad you have found us. You have beaten this before and responsiveness to earlier treatment is one of the most important signs you can beat it again!

Susan

Tarceva is no longer considered a trial drug. You oncologist can prescribe it to you if he feels it will help. Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

My husband took Tarceva.....just make sure to get the prescription cream to help with the rash that follows.

Tarceva has been on the market in the US since 2004 (right around the time you were first diagnosed actually.) There will be no problem getting it prescribed and the company that makes it has a program to help people if the cost is prohibitive. While it does work better in people with an EGFR mutation, the studies show benefit in all lung cancer patients enrolled. My sister has been on it for 22 months and although we have not assayed her tumor for the mutation, she has none of the other characteristics that are indicative of people that respond well. (except for the female thing, she is female) :-) She hasn't seen dramatic shrinkage, but the tumor was stable for a year and then for the last 9 months has shown zero uptake on the PET exam, so she has benefitted!

Good luck and I hope folks here can help offer you lots of information and hope!

thanks to all that responded, I've gotton alot of information and really appreciate it. I am truely scared this time, what are the odds of surviving this beast the third time, in my mind not very good. I can't find any tears this time, I am just plain NUMB. I am not afraid of dying I just don't want to leave my loved ones, and I don't want them to watch me slowly die. I don't know if I should fight or just give in, I am so tired of all of this. I know if I am to have any chance at all that I need to change my way of thinking. Sorry I just need to vent. I feel like my life is at a stand still, and I don't if I should move foward or give in. God Bless this site. The shoulder pain is what is concerning me, the other times there were no symptoms, I am hoping it is just the lymph node pressing on a nerve and that it is not in the bone. I go to sleep with all this on my mind and wake up with it still there. thanks for the info and allowing me to vent.

Barbara

Barbara, my friend Loreen has successfully beat back cancer three times. She is facing her fourth event right now. She is 79. I don't have too many details because she doesn't ask questions but she looks good. There is hope--always.

Judy in Key West