New to board

Rachel

Greetings from Ketchikan, Alaska. I am Rachel & 48 years young. Diagnosed May 2003 with limited SCLC. I have completed 4 rounds cisplatin & etoposide plus 3 weeks radiation to mediastinum twice a day. Another spot on CT had me doing chemo again. 4 rounds Topotecan. The spot ended up to be scar tissue from radiation. Now I await Jan 15 for followup CT. If all clear it is recommended to undergo PCI treatment. I'd love to soak in any & all info anyone out there may have for me. I did read about the head hurting when the hair falls out but would like to hear more about side effects such as memory loss etc. Thank you in advance for any info provided.

Hi Rachel,

I was diagnosed with Non-Small Cell close to a year ago, and am not very familiar with treatment protocol for Small Cell, but wanted to offer you a "Welcome" to our family (although I am sorry you needed to join us...)

You will find a wealth of knowledge and information here, as well as some of the most caring people I've ever come to know! I hope you have all your questions answered and that treatment is successful for you!

Take care,

Heather

Rachel,

Welcome to the board. Sorry you have to be here but I am sure you find the information you are looking for.

I have been where you are right now. I did the PCI and while I have had some short term memory loss it isn't much worse than BEFORE the treatment. I forget to stop and pick something up on the way home from work or I forget to put something in the car to take to work. Silly things usually and not a big deal in any case. I have noticed a bit of a balance problem over the past week or so and when I talked to my Dr. he said I may have had some fluid build up in the inner ear. He will check it at my next appointment. Fatigue of course, hair loss and a peeling forehead have been my main complaints.

All in all I would do it again but it would be nice if you could keep your hair!!

God Bless,

MO

Welcome!

I was diagnosed with small cell on November 1, 2002 and I'm doing great!

I didn't have PCI because they didn't think I was in remission at first, and then once they decided I was, it was too late. (It's supposed to be done within a certain number of weeks after completing chemotherapy.)

But I know others on the board have had it, and I'm sure you'll hear from some of them - anyway, welcome!

Hugs and prayers,

Sandy

Guest bucky_a

Hi, Rachel!!!, Welcome to the best place for friendship and understanding.

I'm soory I can not help you. I don't know a lot about sc, but I'am here for anything else that you need. i am 49, from Argentina but living in the States for a long time.

You will be OK, a lot of prayng, and happy ny.

bucky