Insurance companies?

blaze100

I belong to a self-funded insurance though the college where I work. When I had LC, our insurance was a pain in the you know where. Nothing but a hassle, late payments, denials, impossible to contact, etc.

Now one of my friends has BC. She is on the same insurance. She says our insurance has been nothing but sweethearts through the whole process.

Do you think the insurance people treat LC differently the BC too?

Barb

Gosh, Barb, I would hope not...

The only thing that comes to mind is this: does the college contract with a claims management group? If so, is it still the same one?

I don't know how your employer does things, but I used to be under a self-funded plan some years ago. My employer contracted with a company to manage our insurance.

Anyway, if this is true with your plan, a different management group could explain the difference in service. But if all factors are the same, I would certainly wonder.

Yes, it is the same insurance admin service. They took 8 months to pay my bill at the hospital for surgery, and that was a preferred provider! And I had double coverage because my husband works at the college too. It wasn't much fun having that bill hanging over my head while I recovered from surgery, chemo & radiation.

I think - maybe I'm totally off - that there is a difference in how they treat cancer claims based on the diagnosis.

Barb

Honestly, I would prefer that you were totally off! Because it's just not right that an insurance/management company would discriminate like that.

But what if you are right? How do you prove it? With Hippa laws, I'm not sure you could gather enough information to make a case. And if you are right, those same Hippa laws that are supposed to protect us are actually protecting insurance companies. The thought of that frosts my backside. :evil:

• 3 weeks later...