Wednesday's Air

jaminkw

Morning All! Back down in the 50s last night. Feels like a temp rollercoaster.

Group was good even tho the onc wasn't there. I've come to depend on him to help pull me up from my "I think my cancer is back" slumps. Been there done that before. I realized a chance meeting with a group member who hasn't been at group lately may have set it off. He greeted my "remission" news with a story about another cancer survivor who went into remission only to suddenly go downhill and die. Believe it or not, he did tell me that story. Also, last night another member related how depressed she's been and how uncharacteristically nonphysical she's been from the cold and the pain it causes. I remembered AGAIN that's one of the reasons I was so glad to be moving here. In PA in the winter I hurt all the time. I'm not all better today but better. I do well when I can identify causes for my moods.

Have a great day everyone.

Judy

It was 30 degrees as I pedaled to work this morning. It's forecast to get up to 62 degrees this afternoon.

What a difference a year makes. Yesterday, March 2nd, the high temperature for the day here was 53 degrees. Someone reminded me that, one year ago on that same date, it was 93 degrees. And even that's not the record here for March 2nd. In 2006, it was 94 degrees. I'm in no hurry for a 90 degree day this year, but I sure would like to at least see 70's now and then.

Have a great day, all!

Hope everyone is having a nice day today. Although it's not Friday, I always feel as if I'm "half way home" on Wednesday. So, here 's hopinh today will be a really good day.

Judy, I'm so sorry that people can be so thoughtless. The member that told you that little story should have thought about your situation and have realized how inappropriate it was to tell you. Oh well, what can we say. There are so many people that just don't seem to get it when it comes to saying and/or doing the appropriate thing anymore. I am very sorry that you had such a downer of a meeting.

Bud, I don't know how you manage to ride in this cold weather! I'm all bundled up in a sweater and jeans and still freezing...and I'm inside the office! You certainly are one determined guy and I do admire you! Like Texas, it's cold here today. Yesterday it was a little warmer but was very windy. Supposedly, we had winds in the 50-60 mph range. It wasn't bad, as it was a bit warmer but today, it's cold and still very windy.

Last night, I went to my monthly Auxiliary meeting and just sat and shook my head, wondering why I continue on with the group. People are truly amazing and I'm beginning to believe that "people watching" may become my favorite pastime. It's no wonder that The People of Walmart videos are so popular now.

I hope everyone is feeling great today and maybe if we all THINK SPRING together, it may actually happen!!! Funny how all of the home improvement stores magazines and ads are encouraging us to do spring planting. We just had a freeze warning last week, so I think I'll be waiting on that.

Ann

I'm sitting here having a little chuckle--this cold weather is really getting to all of us warm weather members. I'm headed a little north (as far as Venice Ann) on Sunday just for the sake of a trip. Am I crazy or what! Haven't checked the forecast up there on my desktop weather station yet. Think I'm afraid to lol.

Judy

Judy, pretty much the same thing happened to me at group. Katie mentioned my clean scan, I said that makes two years, and someone quickly pointed out to me it could recur well after two years. Well, yes, that's right, but it's certainly a downer when someone interrupts your celebration to remind you of it. I try to remind myself before group that it may not all be good news and to take whatever is said in stride. Easier said than done, sometimes.

I forgot to mention how amazing I think Ann's husband's recovery is. I've not seen anyone progress that far that fast after knee replacement surgery. Good on him!

I was going to comment the same thing Bud, your hubby's making great progress Ann. Definitely worth celebrating. Boy how I agree about the unknowing person at group for you Judy and Bud. I'm sure I never know what to say except that I don't know what to say. Sometimes I make jokes that after it comes out of my mouth I realize how callous it was, then I feel very small. I don't stop doing it tho, like Johnny Carson said, "bombo", how else do I find out what isn't funny but to say something stupid and feel bad for it. I have always tried to make amends for being callous when I realize it. Weather here isn't near as nice as Florida's but does seem to rival Texas this year. I definitely feel better in warmer weather these days. Not achy painy wise as much as I can breathewise. My lungs are so damaged that I am extremely affected by small things, more pollen, colder temps, more smoke, just anything may knock me down for days. Hope all has a great day, I'm sure gonna try.

Fortunately, the insensitive guy was not at group last night. I had run into him in a parking lot in town when he pulled his downer. I do think it was before my dream that my cancer was back and made that connection in group last night. I'm not thrilled about my group but usually the retired onc is there and a couple of people with some brains and common sense. When I was in training to do counseling, attending group was mandatory. It was all our peers and even then could get hairy.

Ann, I agree that your husband is doing amazing. People just all respond in their own unique ways to these surgeries that are becoming so commonplace today. I also find that amazing--need a new knee, hip?? They keep making progress and we'll just order spare parts like we do for our cars lol.

Judy

I just wanted to share a little information about my hubby's knee replacement and the new technique that his surgeon, Dr. Desai, is using. My husband had his left knee done 5 years ago by the same surgeon, using the traditional method. It's amazing how much faster he has progressed using this new "cocktail." As I said, it was 2 weeks ago yesterday that he had the surgery and as of Friday, he is no longer even using a cane. We went to a meeting at the Post last night that lasted over 2 hours and he did fine and was in no pain. I have a newspaper article on this technique that I can share if anyone is facing any type of joint replacement.

This info was taken from an articke that Dr. Desai wrote.

Accelerated Recovery Technique

My surgical patients benefit from a promising new protocol called Accelerated Recovery Technique. ART for short, the technique provides patients a non-narcotic, nearly pain-free recovery from total joint replacement surgery. It begins before the first incision, with the patient receiving non-narcotic pain medication the night before surgery. During surgery, additional pain medications in the form of a specially designed “pain cocktail” are injected into and around the joint, leaving the area essentially pain-free for up to 48 to 72 hours.

In addition to this ‘cocktail’ of pain-relieving drugs, the technique uses a special gel to promote healing. Rich in platelets, the gel contains high levels of growth factors and factors that promote tissue healing. Before surgery, it’s made by ‘spinning’ two ounces of the patient’s blood in a centrifuge into three parts: platelet-rich plasma, platelet-poor plasma, and red blood cells.

The platelet-rich plasma is sprayed into the joint cavity after replacement surgery to help control inflammation and accelerate healing. The platelet-poor plasma helps with clotting, and the red blood cells are discarded.