Getting Healthy

Hi Guys,

I decided to post this to make myself more accountable. Since my cancer journey began in 4'08 I have now gained 80 pounds. Something has got to change. So this weekend I joined a gym. I plan on starting water aerobics next week. This is the begining of my journey to get healthy! YEAH!

Dana

• 4 weeks later...

Good for you, Dana! My own journey to lose weight and get healthier started in 2003, after I suddenly put on a lot of weight after quitting smoking.

I studied nutrition, bought a stationary bike, and started slowly making changes to get me healthier. It was almost a year later, with not much weight lost, when I bought a bicycle and discovered that I loved riding as much as I had as a kid.

My diet is much improved these days, and I ride 140 miles a week on the bike. Every year, though, I see people start new exercise and diet programs, and give them up within a couple of months. The best advice I can give is to find the healthy changes in both nutrition and exercise that you can love, like, or at least be able to tolerate, long term.

But I don't think it ever gets easy. I'd been dragging around an extra 10 pounds for the last year and a half. It's amazing how hard it is to lose weight after cancer. The thought is always in the back of your head that lost weight = cancer back. We have scheduled scans to remind us that isn't necessarily so, though, and I'm almost back to my target weight again.

Good luck!

Good for you! I am almost back to the weight I want to be at. Put on about 35 pounds after chemo. Food tasted so bad during treatment, and when it finally tasted good again, oh boy! I had to change my relationship to food to succeed. I think that I "rewarded" myself with desserts, and chocolate when I never ate that stuff before. But I'm back at it and it feels good to have that extra weight gone.

Best wishes in this.

Judy in MI

Thanks Guys!

My water aerobics class didn't start yet. But I did also join ediets and this is the first week on their food, it's pretty good. I weigh in tomorrow and see how I did eating their more portion controlled size meals!

Dana

• 3 years later...

Yeah aerobics workouts are good for the weight control. You take good step to lose your unnecessary body weight. Your efforts are appreciable.

Carry on your workouts to maintain a healthy body weight.