Ned's scan and Stephanie's Fever

jaminkw

LOL, thought this was the best way to catch your attention, particularly if you use the "View new posts" feature as I do.

Ned, how fabulous is that! I think the little getaway at that hotel during your tenting may have had some influence on that improvement. More good times on order Sir. We'll be looking for the onc report but suspect it will also be good.

Stephanie, hope this new antibiotic does the trick and you'll find out it was a little bug and just needed the right med to kick it. So glad the tomatoes got planted. We used to grow them even here in KW but the timing is real tricky. Had one the neighbor grew yesterday. It wasn't pretty but real tasty. Nothing like home-grown.

Sorry I missed both your posts yesterday.

Judy in KW

Yes, I'd say that Ned's scan is pretty big news, as long as the doctors don't find anything new. We don't get to hear of improvement this far down the line nearly often enough. Congrats and best wishes, Ned!

Thanks Judy. Pretty funny post title. Still haven't heard if they know what caused the fever, but it is only 10 a.m. here on the left coast.

For Tarceva takers - weird thing, I woke up sweaty yesterday and today. Since I haven't sweated since last October, even after exertion or sun, this seemed really foreign.

When I started feeling so much better last night, I ate a piece of roasted chicken (it smelled good). I think that may have been a mistake. BRAT for a day or two - bananas, rice, applesauce (yuck) and toast (and tea). Not very sound, nutritionally. I think that was why the chicken seemed like a good idea. Think it would hurt to add some lentils in with the rice?

BRAT used to be the recommendation for what to eat when you start again after being sick. I've usually subscribed to feed a cold, feed a fever - hah ha, so never dealt with it, but this thing is crazy bad. I did manage a bowl of rice with a cooked egg and a little soy (I can use some salt) for dinner. And I took a nap after.

So the good news is that we think we know it is from the previous antibiotic treatment - not really a reaction to it, but a growing problem from the overuse of antibiotics. This form of coli is resistant to those hand sanitizer gels you see everywhere, including hospitals and restrooms. I'm guessing (and observing) more people bypassing soap and water for a quick pump of gel. Personally, I hate them - they are drying and kill in the cuts on my fingertips. So, who knows where I picked up ol' c. difficile, but the antibiotic regime left me defenseless.

I'm telling you, this is no laughing matter. Actually I was crying earlier cause it is serious stuff. I just hope we can knock it down for good for me.

Great to have friends who understand why this feels so traumatic. I haven't been this upset for a long time.

Oh - Judy - I like homemade applesauce as well, but that's way out of my abilities at the moment. And not really the season.

Stepahnie, I am so sorry for your predicament. I do understand. My worst fear is getting sick. Crazy isn't it. But having cancer makes you frantic to stay otherwise healthy. And you survived the airline flights recently just to pick up something close to home. Go figure. Glad they have you on the right track and hope you feel better real soon.

Judy in KW