Jill Costello June 24th 2010

RandyW

“Life is all about how we handle the challenges we are given.” — Jill Costello, June 14, 2009

“My promise to Jill is to work harder, faster and more furiously to find an end to this disease and I know that Jill will be by my side and in my heart the whole way.” —Bonnie J. Addario, June 24, 2010

“Because of ALL OF YOU, Jill didn’t spend her last year dying…she spent it living.” —Mary Costello, Jill’s Mom, June 24, 2010

June 24, 2010—A little over one year ago, 21-years-young—Jillian Costello came into all of our lives, through a shocking diagnosis of Stage IV Lung Cancer. The meaning of courage has never been so profound. With unbearable sadness, we must let you know that Jill is now an angel watching over us and she continues to lead the way from a much more peaceful place. It is not what she wanted. It is not what we wanted. But, God had other plans. In her short time here on Earth, she has done more than anyone has done in the last 40 years. Lung Cancer belongs to all of us–it is our problem to fix. There was never one moment, not even one–that Jill gave up fighting this horrific disease…her own, and all of ours. And, we made her a promise…her fight is not over. It’s ours, ALL of ours–now—and we will continue to make her dream come true…to end Lung Cancer.

Jill’s accomplishments are too many to mention in this post. She graduated with the highest honors from UC Berkeley in May. She led her team, as coxswain on Cal Women’s rowing crew to second place at the NCAA Women’s Division I Rowing Championships. We have a saying here at the Foundation…it’s not always good to be #1. Lung Cancer is the Number 1 Cancer Killer. Perhaps the world will now know through Jill’s legacy that we all must cherish and embrace her dream and fight with the determination that she gave us to understand what is needed. Just last week, Jill was writing to us from her tiny break at home from the hospital, with her idea for the next Lung Cancer campaign. She wants to call it Take 2.

We would like to invite you to join in her campaign. To never forget that Jill will end Lung Cancer as the unforgivable disease it is right now. It doesn’t have to be this way.

A letter from Bonnie J. Addario:

FOR JILL…

I met Jill about a year ago when she was first diagnosed with Lung Cancer…

She had me at “Hello”….

A tiny young lady with more courage and verve than I have ever seen in such a young one. I watched her endure hours, weeks and months of chemotherapy with an attitude I have never before witnessed. She was always convinced that her next scan would bring positive news of NED (No Evidence of Disease). When the outcome wasn’t what she hoped for, she would just roll up her sleeves (literally and figuratively) and continue to battle the disease.

Lung Cancer finally took her little defenseless body but it did not take her Spirit.

When people remember Jill they will remember the coxswain that led her team to win the finals in Crew…they will remember the first Jog For Jill, which she named and spearheaded with Darby Anderson on February 7, 2010. Jog for Jill led over 900 young students, friends, sorority sisters and fraternity brothers and family to walk and run for her on Super Bowl Sunday at UC Berkeley. Jog for Jill led to all the people following her journey to love their lives just a little bit more because of knowing Jill.

My promise to Jill is to work harder, faster and more furiously to find an end to this disease and I know that Jill will be by my side and in my heart the whole way.

Jill has already taught the entire world that “Anyone Can Get Lung Cancer”…

I love you Jill…

I had to ask a higher power how this adorable young girl could be afflicted

with such a horrible and insidious disease.

I have yet to have an answer.

–Bonnie J. Addario

On behalf of everyone at BJALCF and all of you…let’s do this for Jill. Jill chose to come and work for the Foundation after she graduated. She asked for the title of Director of Public Awareness. Let’s finish her job. Please be sure to read Jill’s letter on CaringBridge or Facebook. Written on Sunday, June 20th…four days ago. For further information, please call Sheila at 415.357.1278 or email sheila@lungcancerfoundation.org.

And finally…here is part of a message Jill wrote to Diane Sawyer on May 11, 2010.

“I would be so honored and appreciative if you could help me tell my story to the world.”

The lyrics for ONE DAY…Jill’s favorite song. Thank you Matisyahu, for your permission to share:

sometimes I lay

under the moon

and thank God I’m breathing

then I pray

don’t take me soon

cause I am here for a reason

sometimes in my tears I drown

but I never let it get me down

so when negativity surrounds

I know some day it’ll all turn around

because

all my life I’ve been waiting for

I’ve been praying for

for the people to say

that we don’t wanna fight no more

they’ll be no more wars

and our children will play

one day x6

it’s not about

win or lose

we all lose

when they feed on the souls of the innocent

blood drenched pavement

keep on moving though the waters stay raging

in this maze you can lose your way (your way)

it might drive you crazy but don’t let it faze you no way (no way)

sometimes in my tears I drown

but I never let it get me down

so when negativity surrounds

I know some day it’ll all turn around

because

I’ve been praying for

for the people to say

they’ll be no more wars

one day x6

one day this all will change

treat people the same

stop with the violence

down with the hate

one day we’ll all be free

and proud to be

under the same sun

singing songs of freedom like

one day x4

I’ve been praying for

for the people to say

they’ll be no more wars

one day x6

ooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!