Sense of smell.

beatlemike

Has anyone else noticed their sense of smell is much more sensitive since going thru cancer treatment? I noticed 5 years ago when I came home from the hospital that my wifes potpouri took my breath away and she removed it all from home. Since then there have been many things that just seem to make me short of breath. Last night I put scrupping bubbles in the toilet. I could smell that aroma all thru the house so I removed it. Also sometime my wife uses some spray to remove wringles from clothing,that really does a job on me. Also I can always tell when out neihbor lady is outside. I can smell her cigarette. Is it just me or have any of you noticed your sense of smell is much more sensitive since treatment?

deb went through the same thing while working in a deli when she was diagnosed and had to quit because of cleaning chemical aromas!! not too mention all the yummies in the Deli!! :wink:

Now that you mention it, I have noticed a real sensitivity to almost any smell. I think the worst is when I've gone to the movies and someone will sit down near me either wearing cologne, after shave, or having just had a cigarette before coming into the theater -- I almost always have to move. My husband gets a little irritated because he usually doesn't really notice it and can't understand why it bothers me so much. And it's not that I'm simply bothered by the smell - as you've pointed out, it makes it hard to breathe. As for cleaning the house - there are a whole list of cleaners I just won't buy. I tried Simple Green one day in the shower and practically passed out.

I've been very sensitive to smells since my treatment as well. Perfume's and cleaner's are really bad. I picked up a friend one day and she had been cleaning her bathroom with an environmentally friendly cleaner. When I arrived she rushed out with washing her hands. After driving for only a couple minutes, I had to pull over because I was coughing so bad it was unsafe to drive. I've had conversations with people that have alot of perfume's/cologone on and it is really bad. You do not want to be rude and walk away but a few times I have had to excuse myself because it was so difficult to breathe. Originally I attributed the sensitivity to quitting smoking but 3 years later it is just as bad if not worse.

I think it must be a combination because I didn't have any post-surgery therapy after either lobe removal. But some perfumes just make me choke, some of the airfresheners in my house had to go and I had to reduce how much cleaner I use - not a happy time for me - I'm a little OCD about the neatness/ cleanliness.

As for the smoking - {sigh} - almost 1 year and 4 months after diagnosis/immediate quit - I still would like to redo that last one. Even though I do admit things smell much better now.

I also think it might just be a different awareness that we all form following the horrible mental wrestling we have done with ourselves - and still do come scan time. I gotta admit the extra smell has it's good uses - I can tell when the milk is going bad about 2 days before anyone else!

Annette

Mike,

It is a medical fact that perfumes, chemicals, soaps, scented candles are all no-no's for people with cancers. At Gilda's Club, which is a cancer support facility, all volunteers are strictly told to not wear cologne. They do not allow scented candles, and clean only with white vinegar and bleach.

In my own home, the only cleaning agent I can use is white vinegar. I do use diluted bleach once in a while, but it's too strong so don't use it unless the cleaning job requires such a strong agent. I use unscented bleach.

When we go to shows or concerts in doors, I am very leery of my neighbors. People that have cologne on make me ill, and very SOB.

And my husband has had to stop wearing cologne. I start choking when he puts it on, so no more smelly stuff in my house.

Judy in MI

• 1 month later...

This is the first post I have seen that mentions this. Johnny got to the point where he couldn't stand the smell of anything. I couldn't cook even the things that he liked and wanted without turning on air purifiers and opening windows. Then he would close himself in the bedroom. It got so bad the last few weeks that I strongly suspect that was one of the reasons he wouldn't eat even when it was obvious that he was hungry and wanted to.

I 'm not sure if it was the chemo or something caused by the cancer. It just always seemed odd to me and I never realized that anyone else had the same experience.