A couple of questions...

niececola

Hi,

My mom is nearing the end of all the tests for entrance into the clinical trial. A couple of things I would like your thoughts on:

1) She is experiencing a lot of pain in her legs. Not in one particular place, kind of all over. She finished with chemo back in October and with radiation at the end of November. Any ideas on what this might be, other than bone mets? (Her onc has ordered a bone scan. I always get confused, is this a better test than a PET scan? Or worse?)

2) For those of you on Celebrex, what exactly does it do?

I guess that is all for now. He is concerned about the headaches, not quite sure what he is planning on doing about them. Also, the spot on her lung grew, apparently not very much and he was not surprised by this. Why should he be? She hasn't been on chemo for almost 3 months, which my mom is actually not very happy about, believe it or not! So, she said, bring on the chemo! Not sure who took over my mom's body today, but she seems more determined than ever to just get on with it and is becoming more proactive, which makes me very happy. She is scared, as we all are, but she sounds a bit stronger this time around. Please keep us in your prayers, and as always, you are in mine.

Denise

Hello Denise,

The bone scan is to see for bones mets or arthritis, the Celebrex

helps for arthritis pain, (like Vioxx but that is stronger)

Do not know about the others test.

Glad that your mother wants to fight and get her treatments going

soon.

Prayers for both of you.

Is Clover a Basenji ?,

J.C.

Hi Denise;

So sorry your mom is having a time of it. but glad she is up for the fight, thats certainly encouraging!!! :)

I was on Vioxx, for 3 months then Celebrex for another 2 and now vicodin. The celebrex like others have said is for arthrictic pain and inflamation, as are the others and there is talk of helping to reduce the chance of lung cancer returning, although I don't think anythings been proven. The celebrex should help the pain, if not ask for something stronger.

I also had, a bone scan, PET scan and MRI of the spine and brain. They are all a bit different. The bone scan will pick up arthritis, tumors etc but is not as sensitive as an MRI. The PET looks for cancer in a metabolic state and can usually confirm another scan. What I was told is that the MRI is the best for a look at the bones and brain and a closed MRI at that. Also, expensive.

hope this helps and know your moms in my prayers.

God bless and be well

Bobmc- NSCLC- stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

MRI's taken 12/18/03 - 2 brain mets found- named em Frick & Frack

PET taken 1/5 - hot spot in mediastinum May be cancer??

"Absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"