My dad is so confused

Guest Retha

:cry: Although the kidney ultrasound, MRI, and bone scan came back clean (we're still waiting for the bone marrow test), my dad's mind is so confused. He isn't on any medication so I don't understand why he is suffering so much confusion. He is set to start his first round of chemo Tuesday. How many treatments are usually given before you can see any improvement/difference?

Thank you for writing. I'm really at a loss. We're under the impression that the MRI was to check for brain mets because the MRI was done on his head. I plan to call the doctor's office first thing in the morning because I don't see any reason for him to be so confused. We've only been aware of his sclc for two weeks and, although I'm sure I'll learn a lot in the future, I don't know what to expect or what to do for him. It's all I can do to get him to eat.

My Buddy started that last Sunday evening, somewhat confused, Monday a little more and by Tuesday was far out. I phoned the dr and took him right out. he did blood work and sent us over to the hosp for a brain scan. the scan came back no change since last one which is great. the next day the dr office called, all the blood work came back good. Or as good as it can be with the state he is in right now I suppose. He is eating so very little and it on pain meds but really not that much. the only other meds he is on is one to increase his appitite which is not working, and his regular ones for blood pressure and they don't cause that.

the drs nurse said that the dr figures it must be coming from the stage of his cancer now. I will say, today he seems just a tad better. I don't know if it has to do with the medicine Iressa that he has started or not. Of course it can be just as bad 5 minutes from now too.

I would phone his dr or the one on call, make sure they do blood work before giving him more chemo tomorrow. Our chemo dr always did bloodwork before each treatment at the office on that day, - - does his.

My husband became very confused due to liver mets causing encephalopathy. I hope this is not the case, but if he hasn't been checked for liver mets he probably should be. Good Luck.

Not knowing your family history nor your father's age, just wondering if you've thought of something "normal" in aging OR Alzheimer's? I know mild confusion was the beginning of the disease in my grandmother and it progressed from there....

Retha,

by now I hope you have some sort of answer from the docs. But if not, let me tell you how Dave's SCLC was diagnosed. He had extremely low sodium levels which, in his case, were causing extreme muscle spasms. Turns out that SCLC tumors can sometimes put out a hormone that makes sodium levels drop. Did they do complete blood tests on your Dad? maybe it's something like that. I would imagine low sodium levels could mess with your brain as well as your muscles.

Keep us posted.

Karen C (Dave C's wife)