Saying hello

2doglover

I'm pretty computer savvy but new to this whole message board thing. My dad told my brother, sister and me on his 60th birthday that he had Stage IV SC carcinoma and was starting chemo the next day. I felt my soul scream and then get wind was totally knocked out of me. He's finished 2 rounds of chemo. Round 1 wasn't so bad - very mild side effects. Round 2 is a whole other story.

Anyway, we are a very close family and I feel like I needed to reach out to others who have gone through or are going through the same thing. It's only been a month but I feel like I cry every day. I'm trying to stay in the moment but this just f-ing sucks!!!

I'm a mom of a beautiful 3 year old daughter and wife to a supportive and hardworking husband. And I'm a mama to 2 fantastic fur-kids.

Welcome to our support community.

I am a dog lover too. Right now I have 2 Border Collie mixes (mutts) named Rocky and Sally. Rocky is 14 and Sally is 12 but don't tell them! They do not know they are senior citizens! We'll be going for our morning neighborhood walk soon and they "read" the news paper on the way and catch up sniffing what has been going on the neighborhood , who has been wear, who marked what etc since they were around yesterday.

Cancer is really rough. I am a Stage 3 15 yrs survivor. I know chemo and radiation is rough ( and also surgery) My father in law had lung cancer and so did my husband ( we lost bothe of them)

You really need a lot of help, to go to appts, to listen with you to the doctor and take notes, to get things done( yard work, shores, keep up with insurance etc.) , etc. I hope he has all of that. You also need support . It is pretty hard on care givers and family.

You have found a worderful group of people here who understand what you are going through.

Keep us posted.

Donna G

2doglover - welcome, but I am sorry you have reason to be here. I am the patient, and have thankfully never found myself in the position of having to be a caregiver or had to watch someone I love fight this disease, so I can only try to imagine how difficult that must be. As a patient, I can say that I would not have been able to get through it without the help and support of my family and friends. Your dad is very lucky to have you, but remember to take care of yourself as well. I hope the treatment kicks the cancer's butt!

You're also in good company as I think there are lots and lots of dog lovers here. I love the term fur-kids.

I will be thinking positive thoughts for your dad's recovery, and hope you will keep us posted.

Welcome 2doglover,

I posted a reply to you in the other message board place. With LUNGevity, there are several resources to help you, your family and your Dad. I hope you will visit our foundations website for support and guidance. I'm glad you found us. Here is a link to our Support & Advocacy page on our website.

Caregivers

http://events.lungevity.org/cg/index.html

We also have pages on Facebook, if you are on there. LUNGevity is our main one, Lung Cancer Support Community, Caregiver Resource Center, Survivor Resource Center. We also like a Fur baby friendly one called PAWS Against Lung Cancer.

I hope you will find this message board as a place where the doors are always open and warm hugs are waiting for you.

Cindy A.

I'm so sorry to read this about your dad but I am happy you found this community :) There are many wonderful people here with a wealth of support and information. Please feel free to ask anything you want or just a safe place for you to come and vent your feelings.

I'm looking forward to hearing more from you soon ((hugs))

Hi and welcome! In addition to our strong survivors here, there is a significant contingent of caregivers who also come to share their experiences or simply talk to a group that understands what they are living through. I was a caregiver for husband for 3 tough years with lung cancer (and prior to that I was caregiver for him starting in 1991, when he had kidney cancer and had one of his kidneys and adrenal glands removed.)

I know how tough it is to be shocked by the diagnosis, how helpless and sad and resentful you probably feel in face of this evil disease. :shock: Many were the times I asked, why him? Why us? Why me? Of course there is no answer to this, so all we can do is the best we can to provide our loved one with care, support and love.

We are here for you, and for your Dad, and I wish your Dad and you and the rest of your family some wonderful times in the future and may you take what joy you can find as you all travel together through this difficult time.

Do come back often and tell us how things are going, or ask questions, or ask for help or information or just rant if you want to.

(((hugs)))

Jane/'trawna'

attachment=0]BarkerTim - Copy.JPG[/attachment]

post-13570-141270980125_thumb.jpg