Update on my Mom

CamperJones

As you know my Mom is in ICU on a Vent and I threw a real fit in the ICU waiting room about why I am getting so many conflicting opinions and low and behold my pastor found this wonderful woman who is an RN (Patient Outcome Counsler) who came and in sat with me and heard from me all the things that I posted earlier that all the various doctors told us in the ER about Mom and then she quietly told me about her Mom's brave fight with Lung Cancer so I knew she understood. Then she contacted my Mom's Internist and arranged a meeting with him for the family to condense all the test results and give all of us straight answers about her diagnosis and prognosis. Well we had the meeting today and heard that her EEG showed NO signs of brain damage due to her V-Tac (when her heart stopped twice here at the house) and that she is now coming out of the coma and is totally responsive to commands. She will be on the Vent for about 7 more days as they ween her off as she continues to breathe on her own. They still are not sure WHY her heart stopped as they can only conclude that due to her age, smoking, cancer and stress of the chemo that her oxygen demand was not being met. She will probably get a trach tube for breathing and once she is stronger and off the antibiotics for her non-TB lung infection she should be strong enough to continue her Chemo. If she doesn't do the Chemo she will probably only have about 6 months but they give her up to 3 years with it. SCLC limited seems to respond quickly to this particular regime and she can do well with it. I am so happy to know that she could be with us for a time longer than what we were initially told and I feel so blessed that she is alive! Of course that surely doesn't change the fact that she has cancer and at 71 she is not in the best age group for continued remission. But, I am so very glad that she will now have a chance and that is answered prayer in my book. She is aware of why she is in ICU and is certainly not liking her Vent but I try to smooth it over with her and console her that she is daily getting better. Maybe those that don't have SCLC would think that this is bleak but for our family it is precious to know that we will have her with us longer than we first thought. I know that God is a God of miracles and for us she is HIS miracle by just surviving this long and getting stronger. Thanks for all of your prayers and PLEASE keep them coming as He is so faithful and He does listen! And I pray for all of you also that you will have your own miracles no matter how small they may seem - they are precious indeed! Hugs, Linda

Dear Linda,

I rejoice in your better news! It IS a miracle and a blessing that your mother is still here, and I will pray for further grace that she might be with you for a longer period of time. We are never ready to give them up, so additional time is indeed a gift to cherish and celebrate daily. I'm so glad you found a person to help you negotiate the labyrinth of doctors, scans, reports, etc. My best to you and yours.

Guest canuckwebgrrl

Linda,

Great news about your Mom!

It sounds like you got some important help/support from the RN. I wish we all had someone like that who understands both the emotions and medical-speak involved.

Continued good luck!

Linda,

I'm so glad that things are getting better for your Mom. What a terrible thing for you to go through. I believe that God sends us "angels" in live to help us.. sounds like you found one in the form of an RN. Just what you needed. Hope things will continue to improve for you and I am keeping you and your Mom in my thoughts and prayers.

Laurie

Hi everyone!

Mom is now off the vent and in her own room and NOT in ICU! Her doctors all say she is their "little miracle" but we here all know that she is "God's Miracle!" Her throat is very sore and she talks with a deep garbled voice but her mind is coming out of the fog that her V-Tac put her into. The Chemo is on hold for a while until she is strong enough to continue her treatments. Her doctors are going to put her on an antidepressant as they say after a "sudden death" event that this happens. Mom knows she had a "slight heart attack" which is what they are calling this even though her heart stopped. The reason being is that her heart had very little damage (another miracle) and that there was NO brain damage (one more miracle)! Thank you for your prayers and support as each day that she is here with us is so precious and He is listening! Have a great day and hugs to everyone!

Ah Linda - Don't you just love doctors who try to take the "credit" for God's miracles!

What a miracle your mom is! I love it when God moves so dramatically and so quickly! Sometimes He moves slow and deliberate....testing our faith, our endurance, our perserverence and our hearts. But He can also be the God of "sudden"....

Give your mom a BIG huge and let her know how much of a miracle she is to you all.

I'm just sitting here BEAMING! I'm so happy for you.

Love and hugs,

• 2 weeks later...