In house supplies after Chemo/Radiation

conley

Wishing everyone a beautiful day..."hope springs eternal". A little tidbit my Mom always says. Mom is still going at 92...

Need advice from those who have been through it. What should I have at home in preparation after Dave's first Chemo & Radiation treatment (2/4/04) (Cisplatin/Etoposide). I know everyone is different, but I want to be well prepared with food, medicine, skin creams etc. It would be most helpful.

Thanks

Judy

Judy,

The Radiation Oncologist that treated me recommended Aquaphor to use at night at radiation site. It cannot be used during the day it will interfere with the radiation and besides it is like vaseline so it would mess up your clothes :P (this can be purchased over the counter at any drug store) It works great! I used Aloe Vera Gel 99.5% pure, during the day (bought it at the Health Food Store) kept it in fridge and it felt great on radiation area.

Hope all goes well!

Candee

Judy,

During radiation, I used the "straight" aloe vera on my skin (front and back). I also bought a gallon of aloe vera extract to take orally 2-3 times a day to soothe my esophagus (a mere shot glass of clear, no taste liquid for some relief)...

During the last two weeks of radiation and up to three weeks after, I took the "shot" of aloe and followed it up with Carafat to coat the tube... Carafat is an older ulcer medication that coats (and tastes SOOOOO bad). Worked, but YUCK!

Effects of radiation do not end when the radiation ends - pains from radiation continue (so don't be surprised when by the next week he ain't swallowin' so well).

No advice on chemo, didn't do it.

Hope all goes well,

Becky

I was treated with chemo (vp-16 and carboplatin) and radiation, but not at the same time. Did chemo first and radiation (34) later. I found that while I was actually taking the chemo I was fine..it was the 4 or 5 days after that I was nauseated. My doctor prescribed Zophran. It worked great. My treatments in chem were 3 days, wait 3 weeks, 3 more days, wait 3 weeks and then the final 3 days. For at least 2 weeks in between I felt fine. Lost my hair at 3 weeks. As for radiation, I used aloe vera plant. It worked fine and my only problem with radiation was the tiredness. I was exhausted for weeks after it was all over with. On the good side, as my oncologist said, I was completely UNDERWHELMED, and that is a good thing. I was able to eat almost anything I wanted most of the time but during the few sick days all I wanted was a milkshake.

Best of luck to you.