New here

Suepm

Welcome to Lungevity.  How did they diagnose you ?  Sound like they found you early which is good news.

Just a month since your surgery.  How are you doing?

Follow up with CTs is standard.  Please keep us posted on how things are going. 

Donna G

Hi, Suepm,

Welcome to LCSC!

Thank you for sharing a bit about you. I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but like Donna said, it is a great sign that it was detected early while the cancer is still localized. Please feel free to explore the various forums and join in on some of the discussions. If you have any questions about treatment, side effects, etc. please post them in one of the groups.

We are here for you!

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

Welcome to Lungevity.  How did they diagnose you ?  Sound like they found you early which is good news.

Just a month since your surgery.  How are you doing?

Follow up with CTs is standard.  Please keep us posted on how things are going. 

Donna G

Hi Donna ,
I willTry to give you the Readers digest version . I have long history of lung problems . Asthma , hypersensitivity pneumonia is and bronchi thesis .My first pulmonologist moved and after several years I went to another . He wanted to do a CT scan since I hadn't had one in years .
That's when they found the spot on my lung . After a while they repeated the CT scan spot was still there . Did a PET scan showed scar tissue thought I was in the clear . 6months later it was a pulmonary nodule that had grown . Went to a cardio thoracic surgeon and he recommended a VATS . He said he would do the pathology while I was under and if it was cancer he would do a right upper lobectomy . It was adeno carcinoma . I feel blessed margins and lymph nodes were clear . My oncologist doesn't recommend chemo or radiation at this time . CT scans every 6months .
I have a question . Is it typical to have a cough and shortness of breath ?
And thank you so much , you all , for sharing your experiences . All the information you share is great . You are warriors !!!
Suepm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi, Suepm,

Welcome to LCSC!

Thank you for sharing a bit about you. I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but like Donna said, it is a great sign that it was detected early while the cancer is still localized. Please feel free to explore the various forums and join in on some of the discussions. If you have any questions about treatment, side effects, etc. please post them in one of the groups.

We are here for you!

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

Hi Lauren ,
Thank you for your encouragement . I am doing ok. But still have a cough and shortness of breath . Suepm

Suepm,

Welcome here.

To your question, given a little more than a month after an upper lobectomy, should you be concerned about coughing and shortness of breath?  First a disclaimer, each of us responds or reacts differently in recovery from thoracic surgery, and my experience may not necessarily mirror yours.  I had a pneumonectomy, a complete removal of my right lung. I also had two surgical repairs of a fistula (an opening) in my sutured airway.  After the surgery and each fistula repair surgery, I indeed had a persistent non-productive cough.  My surgeon explained its cause as an irritated airway.  Additionally, before my surgery, I didn't have asthma symptoms but have them now because tissues in my airway are now very sensitive to irritation.  So my experience suggests coughing due to irritation, a dry scratchy feeling deep inside my airway, is normal.  How long did the coughing last?  That is hard for me to answer because I had almost back-to-back-to-back thoracic surgeries.

As for shortness of breath, yes of course I experienced it post surgery and still experience it.  One half my lung capacity was removed.  About one fifth of yours was removed.  It is normal to experience shortness of breath after part of the lung is removed.  There is some recovery.  I now can do day-to-day activities without experiencing shortness of breath but climbing extensive steps or any kind of aerobic exercise has me gasping for air.  I think you will find a new normal activity level after your recovery as your body adjusts to your new lung capacity.

One caution I'll offer, especially now with the turn of the season and the start of the school year.  Avoid school aged children.  I didn't and it put be back in the hospital about a week after discharge after my pneumonectomy with a very serious chest infection.  Do everything you can to avoid catching a cold.  If you do catch one, don't be surprised if it puts you in bed for a lengthy period and expect long recovery times.  Get your flu shot and pneumonia vaccination.  And if you develop cold or flu symptoms, see a doctor promptly.

Keep those semi-annual CT appointments.  Lung cancer is persistent.

Stay the course.

Tom

Suepm,

Welcome here.

To your question, given a little more than a month after an upper lobectomy, should you be concerned about coughing and shortness of breath?  First a disclaimer, each of us responds or reacts differently in recovery from thoracic surgery, and my experience may not necessarily mirror yours.  I had a pneumonectomy, a complete removal of my right lung. I also had two surgical repairs of a fistula (an opening) in my sutured airway.  After the surgery and each fistula repair surgery, I indeed had a persistent non-productive cough.  My surgeon explained its cause as an irritated airway.  Additionally, before my surgery, I didn't have asthma symptoms but have them now because tissues in my airway are now very sensitive to irritation.  So my experience suggests coughing due to irritation, a dry scratchy feeling deep inside my airway, is normal.  How long did the coughing last?  That is hard for me to answer because I had almost back-to-back-to-back thoracic surgeries.

As for shortness of breath, yes of course I experienced it post surgery and still experience it.  One half my lung capacity was removed.  About one fifth of yours was removed.  It is normal to experience shortness of breath after part of the lung is removed.  There is some recovery.  I now can do day-to-day activities without experiencing shortness of breath but climbing extensive steps or any kind of aerobic exercise has me gasping for air.  I think you will find a new normal activity level after your recovery as your body adjusts to your new lung capacity.

One caution I'll offer, especially now with the turn of the season and the start of the school year.  Avoid school aged children.  I didn't and it put be back in the hospital about a week after discharge after my pneumonectomy with a very serious chest infection.  Do everything you can to avoid catching a cold.  If you do catch one, don't be surprised if it puts you in bed for a lengthy period and expect long recovery times.  Get your flu shot and pneumonia vaccination.  And if you develop cold or flu symptoms, see a doctor promptly.

Keep those semi-annual CT appointments.  Lung cancer is persistent.

Stay the course.

Tom

Thank you so much Tom . I am so glad I have this group turn to . No one to talk to , who has gone through lung cancer , is isolating. Thank you for this group it has been very helpful .
Suepm