Question

Judy M.

This isn't a burning question, but I am curious. So far, I have almost no symptoms from my cancer. A slight cough that has actually gotten gradually better since pneumonia cleared up. My question is about weight. I keep reading that lung cancer causes weight loss. I've actually GAINED weight. I weigh more now than I ever have in my life. Not overweight yet, but getting close. Did any of you gain weight? There are some funny things on this jouney. About a week ago I weighed and my weight was the same so I thanked the Lord that I hadn't lost any weight. Then I had to laugh and say, "Well, Lord, that's the first time I ever thanked you because I HADN'T lost any weight. I'm thankful but also puzzled.

Judy M

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Judy,

I lost weight. Not counting my three surgeries, during my two full strength cycles of Taxol and Carboplatin (6 infusions each 3 weeks apart), I dropped about 45 pounds. Gained it all back quickly, faster than my hair grew back. 

I didn't have an appetite. My wife kept inventing ice cream recipes to spur my appetite. After the oral steroid course right before chemo, I would consume everything in the house, but by 2 days after infusion, I didn't feel like eating. 

Stay the course. 

Tom

Thanks, Tom. I knew you had lost weight. But sounds like it was more from the chemo than the treatment itself. I've considered that I may be thankful for this extra weight when chemo starts.

I too have gained weight Judy about 4 kgs since starting chemo in February.....sometimes eating something while feeling nauseous seems to settle it slightly but being told not to lose weight is an invite to eat what i like subconsciously of course ...and i am overweight and had been doing low carb for 12 months prior to dx and lost 27 kgs but thats creeping back on and i crave the comfort foods now .

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Sounds right, Mally. I'm probably using my dx as an invitation to eat since I can't blame it on chemo yet. Now I know I'm not the only one.