husband home

bes

It's been a long long week but he is finally home and resting.  We spoke to the oncologist today but I think my husband was just too overwhelmed to make any decisions.  We are schedule to see the dr. again Dec 8th, in the meantime he will finish radiation treatment and have a few weeks off-- during that time we will me with the palliative Dr. to help make a choice. The oncologist seemed to be leaning toward immunotherapy but he mentioned the side effects and they seem a lot worse than chemo.  We are also going to speak to his kidney dr. at the end of this month about the treatment as he has stage 3 kidney disease.  So I'm hoping to rest for a few days then Monday make all the necessary appointments that need to be made.

Bes,

I’ll be brief — in bed with the crud. Finishing radiation should ease pain so it is a good thing treatment continues. 

Is his kidney disease a new discovery? That could explain some of the adverse side effects. 

Good you are both home. 

Stay the course. 

Tom

No his kidney disease is not new I'm just concerned how the treatments will affect their function.  The weekend has been a little quieter but he is still having issues with the meds; within 15 minutes he is vomiting and dry heaving--this is the 4th one they have tried and of course when this happens he has more difficulty breathing--vicious cycle.  I will be making the needed appointments tomorrow and I will mention this problem to them.  His pain level is still around 5-6 within 3hrs of taking the meds--not what we were hoping but perhaps the radiation relief will kick in soon--3 more treatments to go.

Bes,

What meds are causing his vomiting?  Pain meds? 

Where is his pain: deep inside his chest or near the surface in or near ribs or chest cavity bones?  If the latter, as the doctor for an RX of transdermal Lidocaine patches.  I use these frequently in and around my chest incisions to deal with pain spikes.  If you get these, ensure you shave his chest hair so that they stay adhered when applied.  My wife often uses wound dressing tape to ensure they stay put.  They knock down a pain spike from a 5 - 6 to a 2 - 3 for me. 

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi Bes,

Have you seen the paliative care doc yet? Is he/she prescribing the pain meds? Seems like there should be something effective at pain relief that doesn't cause vomiting. Wish I had something to suggest.

Hang in there, both of you.

BridgetO

Archived