Introducing myself...

Arthur

Hello lung cancer community... I am a 75 year old male, recently diagnosed with probable adenocarcinoma based on suspicious CAT scan, located in my right lower lobe. I am scheduled for a VATS resection at the end of the month, and I am hoping to connect with other folks who have already gone through this procedure, hopefully within the past 5 years. My surgery is scheduled at Washington University/Siteman Cancer Center in St. Louis, MO. 

Looking forward to having the chance to discuss this from a patient's perspective. 

Take care, A.

Welcome Arthur,

Glad you joined us.

I was diagnosed with NSCLC -- squamous cell -- at stage IIIB and had a complete pneumonectomy the old fashioned way, with a conventional J-shaped incision along my right side.  I had surgical complications followed by four recurrences but achieved NED -- no evidence of disease -- after cybersurgery in March 2007.  That was 15 years ago and my message to you is if I can live, so can you.

Many here have had successful VATS resections and I'm sure you will connect with them soon.  This is a great place for questions.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi Arthur.  I had a right upper lobe lobectomy via a VATS surgery six weeks ago.  I had an 8mm nodule that they felt was suspicious enough to warrant a resection.  At the time of the resection they tested the nodule and found it to be NSCLC Adenocarcinoma.  Have they done a PET scan? 

Yes, a PET scan was done. It indicated the 1.7 CM nodule was malignant. Nothing else showed up as psositive on the PET scan. I suspect the wedge resection is warranted. Mainly, I want to know how people who have had wedge resection have fared post op... do they feel their breathing ability has been restricted, etc. In other words, is the treatment worse than the disease?

Hi, Arthur,

Welcome to LCSC. My name is Lauren and I'm the Digital Community Manager for LUNGevity Foundation.

I'm glad to see that you've already connected with a few of our members. This community is a great place to find information and support. Please feel free to explore the message boards and blogs, ask questions, and join the ongoing conversations.

In addition to these forums, LUNGevity also has a robust Lung Cancer 101 website, free patient educational materials, a Survivor and Caregiver Resource Center, peer-to-peer support programs,  a toll-free Lung Cancer Helpline, survivorship conferences, and lunch and learn events. You can explore more here: https://lungevity.org/for-patients-caregivers

Please let me know if you'd like any additional information about LUNGevity's Support & Survivorship Programs.

We are here for you!

With gratitude,

Lauren
--
Lauren Humphries
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

Archived