Diagnosis Small Cell limited

Deb514

Hi I am Debbie  

Found out March 10 I have small cell. Had 2 rounds of chemo and 14 radiation  treatments so far. I go for chemo #3 next Monday.  

Hi Debbie and welcome!  My cancer was non-small cell and I don't have a lot of information about small cell. I hope you'll get some responses from form members who either have small cll or are well informed about it. Hang in there!

Bridget )

I was diagnosed with sclc in mid February. Primarily in the lining of my right lung and a small met in my brain. They are treating the lung issue with chemo and have a plan in place for brain radiation as well. I have had some allergic reactions to chemo which further complicated the situation. I'm not an "expert" by any definition, but am thankful that I have a really good patient advocate-my wife. They are including Tecentriq (immunotherapy drug) along with carboplatin and taxol in my chemo. I've noticed some others have experience with Tecentriq in the sclc discussion forum. Good luck with your treatment.

Hello! I was diagnosed last July 3 (2018) with small cell, limited, no cancer anywhere else, although the mass was indeed huge and much to big for surgery or radiation as it was so close to my heart. In addition, that lung where it began was completed deflated. I had chemo with carboplatin and another (starts with an "e" ... standard SCLC drug, I will look it up!) and after 3 rounds (3 days in a row for about 2 hours, every 3 weeks), my doctor ordered a new CAT scan. While waiting for the results, I had another 3-day round of chemo. The CAT scan showed the mass had completely disappeared! Also, my lung had re-inflated! I still had 2 more rounds of chemo, and Tecentriq was included in the final one. After this, my oncologist was going to switch to all Tecentriq as a precautionary measure every 3 weeks for 1 day until October 2019 to make sure we got any remaining cancer and begin the immuno training.

However, as we had lost our insurance and had to wait for a new one to take effect, we were holding off on immunotherapy. In February I had another CAT SCAN and everything was still clear (I had also had a brain MRI & PET scan earlier so we knew it had never gone anywhere else). So even when my insurance started my oncologist decided to hold off on immunotherapy right now but he left the port in until we are in at least 12 months.

My radiologist (never had radiation) is doing a brain MRI every 3 months as a precaution in case it migrated and we haven't seen it. He also talks about doing radiation in the lung area where the cancer started but I have not made that decision as yet. To me, I would rather watch and see before doing that.

So I am in a very nice watch and see mode at the moment ... and I pray you will also be in this position very soon ...

Please be positive and do your research! Eat good healthy food and keep active! It is all so very important .... lung cancer caught early does not have to be a death sentence! Don't listen to nay sayers or negativity!

Thank you I was hoping to hear from others with small cell.  Mine is limited to right lung and lymph nodes in that area. You have made me feel  better. Had a pet scan after the first round and it was significantly  improved. 

• 5 months later...

I was just diagnosed last month with small cell lung cancer stage 1. No where else in my body or brain. Doc reassures me that it is 80% curable. I am on my 2nd round of chemo this week and started radiation yesterday. I do plan on doing preventive radiation to the brain so it don't spread there in the future. Please keep me.posted on your journey and I will mine as well. Let's kick cancers *ss! God bless us all!

Archived