Lung Cancer & OCD

Lita59

Hi All. Brand new to this group and not sure if I am asking for this information in the right place. If not, please give me guidance. I was wondering if anyone else with lung cancer also suffered with OCD. I am a 7+ year survivor, still in treatment and have not been able to connect with anyone who has to manage both issues. Would be so nice to speak with someone who understands this particular complication. Thanks so much!

Lita59

Hi L

Maybe not the very best place to ask about your OCD issues but still your question is  a very interesting.  First of all let me congratulate  you about a 7+years of survival ! You are a winner and an inspiration for me as I am just a beginner. I had lung surgery last December and no treatment afterwards. I don't suffer from OCD however, I have counseled many patients during my work as a psychologist. I am highly interested to find out how your OCD Is affecting your health issues with lung cancer survival and vice  and versa.  I am not visiting often however, I will check again to see if there is a reply from you. Thank you in advance and one more time, congrats on being a winner! 

Mariak,

Thank you for your words of encouragement. I am sorry this evil disease has invaded your life. My intention was not to discuss my OCD on this forum, but to see if I could connect with others who may be in the same situation. It is a daily battle and it would be another layer of support. I am enjoying reading all of the new posts and what’s happening in the lung cancer world. It is encouraging! Thank you for responding. 

Hi Lita and welcome.  Seven year survival is AMAZING!  Congrats on that.  I don’t suffer from OCD but  it feels like it sometimes when it comes to my cancer diagnosis.  It’s hard to think of much else at times.  I don’t know if you’ll find many people suffering from both here, but you will find people who share in your cancer battle.  I’m sure many of them have other challenges beyond their fight against cancer and can relate on that level.    

Thank you Curt!  I know many survivors are battling challenges beyond cancer and my heart hurts for them. I know I have been blessed, as the cancer has responded so well to the treatment. Glad to be a part of this group. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have OCD and waiting for my diagnosis. What I find that helps is distraction ,distraction, distraction. You must keep your mind busy and not have time to think about the cancer.

The hard part is finding what distracts you..

I have become a sports fanatic. I bought the book Anti Cancer Living. And other small things. 

But the secret is to be a fantastic at something other than thinking about your condition.

I am not a psychologist. I am only tell you what has helped me!

Irwin

Thank you Irwin for your suggestions. The Anti Cancer Living book sounds interesting. I’m going to check it out. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. God bless. 

Lita 59

Archived