Opdivo for Stage 2B

Vanitha

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with Stage 2B T3N0M0 NSLC in Dec 2018. I had a lobectomy in Dec and completed 4 rounds of Alimta/Cisplatin as adjuvant therapy in Apr 2019. I was just notified that I qualify for enrolling in a clinical trial where i'm randomized to receive Opdivo. I was all in for participating in a clinical trial before. But now (several weeks after chemo), I've been slowly putting cancer out of my mind and being optimistic about my future scans (first 3 month scan is scheduled at the end of July). I am feeling good and most of the side effects of chemo has resolved, other than ringing in the ears. I looked up the side effects of Opdivo and it is scary. The stats are 30-50% of Stage 2 NSLC's come back after surgery. And the oncologist told me that doing chemo and immuno will decrease the risk by 10% each. So mathematically, it makes sense for me to go forward with enrolling in the trial. Albeit, theres 50/50 chance that i'll actually get the drug. I need some moral support and words of encouragement to proceed. I'd love to hear from anyone else who has positive results with Opdivo and anyone with Stage 2 or 3 that participated in the study. 

Thank you in advance, 

Vanitha

Vanitha,

Welcome here.

I can't offer first hand experience with Opdivo for I've not had it.  But, let's talk about recurrence.

You are right about the recurrence rate.  I've seen somewhat higher percentages for stage 2B disease, but my data was before all the new therapy was introduced.  I agree that your adjuvant therapy reduces your recurrence rate. If it were me, I'd want to hold immunotherapy in reserve.  If a recurrence happens, certain immunotherapy drugs are often paired with conventional chemotherapy and the results are very, very good.  It is early June.  Enjoy the start of summer. Go to the beach. Surf that NED (no evidence of disease).

Stay the course.

Tom

My husband was at stage 1b. We took chemotherapy as well. Even then his cancer came back within six months and stage four. So you can weigh your risks.  All the best.

Archived