Nodule on CTs not on PETs and growing

Barb1260

After finding out that there is a 5mm nodule on my left lung today, I looked at all past scans again. Lo and behold on the very first chest CT last December there was a 2mm on lower left. Didn’t show on the PET 10 days later or any PET after that. Now it shows up bigger on yesterday’s CT. Why would it keep showing up on CTs and no mention on PETs?

Finally got a copy of the CT report from Monday. The 5mm nodule is in upper left not lower-that’s no longer mentioned. So this is a new one. If it’s non-calcified does it mean it’s malignant?  

Barb,

I wouldn’t know how calcification relates to malignancy. Five mm is still very small. I hope it just disappears on the next scan. 

I know these things are maddening and recall my here-today-gone-tomorrow experience. 

Stay the course. 

Tom

Barb,

Oh yes, my phantom nodules. After my NED surgery and surgical complications that caused me to miss my adjuvant chemo, a CT scan showed 5 small nodules in my lung. They were very small and I did my watch and wait routine but only 2 months. The next scan showed 3 and they were bigger. Then chemo treatment knocked them down to nothing. Six months after NED, the scan showed one old one and one new one. The next scan showed only the old one and it was bigger. And so on...

So some of mine disappeared.  Recall there are many ways one gets nodules in the lung and most of them are not cancer. This explains.

Stay the course.

Tom

Thanks Tom. I hate the wait and see method. Wondering if they might do a PET or is it too small but if it’s malignant wouldn’t it show uptake already?  Gee Thursday seems like a year away before my questions are answered 

Archived