Newly Diagnosed

Hi, first, I want to thank you for allowing me to be part of this most important forum for lung cancer patients. I was recently diagnosed with Adnocarcinoma in right lung and ground glass opacities in both lungs. Am scheduled for surgery in one week to test chest lymph nodes. If they are negative, Drs will proceed with wedge resection on the left. Then two weeks later, lobectomy on the right upper lobe. I’m really scared to undergo such radical surgery, but know it’s necessary. If nodes are positive, they will close me back up and start chemo and radiation. My poor family is devastated. Thank you for hearing me out. Trying to stay positive. 
Mary Ann. 

Mary Ann,

I'm so very sorry to learn of your diagnosis. I underwent the same procedure to check lymph nodes before my right lung was removed.  I don't want to say I'm fortunate to have had my right lung removed but am grateful considering the circumstances.

The surgery to check lymph nodes will likely involve a small incision at the base of the throat. From there, doctors will use a flexible scope to look at and sample lymph nodes. I was completely recovered from this minor surgery in a matter of days.  The lobe removal and wedge resection is a bit more complicated, and we'll explain those to you after we learn of the lymph node results.  Please ensure (insist) that biopsy samples are sent for laboratory analysis to determine suitability for targeted therapy or immunotherapy. This type of test is called biomarker testing and it is very important to have these results.

We've been there and experienced almost every form and type of lung cancer treatment. We'll answer your questions and help you every step of the way.  Here are some thoughts I recorded years ago that might be helpful information.

Stay the course.

Tom  

Mary Ann,

Welcome to our group and we're sorry you need to be here.  Tom has already shared some of his vast experience so I just wanted to welcome you and let you know that you should ask any questions you have and one of us will be happy to share what we know with you.  

Lou

Archived