Are there inoperable stage 3 survivors?

catlady91

My mum was diagnosed with stage 3B inoperable squamous cell non small cell lung cancer. The doctors have been really positive and are aiming for a cure. My mum had aggressive chemo and four or five weeks of radiotherapy. In June she started immunotherapy (durvalumab or imfimzi). Her scan in may showed the tumour reduced by half which the doctor said was excellent news. She has a pet scan on 28 July. 

The doctors are aiming for a cure. I've read survivor stories online and a lot of them survived because their cancer was operable. Are there many long term survivors with inoperable lung cancer who are cured? 

Hey there,

My "cancer mentor/buddy" in Chicago whom I "met" (we were matched via different cancer patient supporting organization) 2 years ago had an inoperable (due to the location) stage 3 (forgot if she said 3A or 3B) NSCLC adenocarcinoma.  She had a hell of time with her treatments (she told me both chemo and radiation sent her to being in hospital for a couple of weeks), but she celebrated her 4 year anniversary early this year - all her scans since her treatments have been consistently clean, aka "NED".  At least here in US, the doctors do not use the term "cure", rather they say NED (no evidence of disease).

We also have several members on this forum with the diagnosis of stage 4 and no surgery but have been rocking for years.

MB

Thanks for your reply MBinOregon. Thanks for sharing your story about your mentor. That's amazing that she's doing so well. She probably had stage 3B as 3A is still mostly operable. It's great to hear so many people doing so well, especially with stage 4. My mum has the best care which is incredibly reassuring. 

I didn't know in America that doctors don't use the term cure. The first consultant said that my mum's cancer was treatable but not curable but my mum's oncologist said that they're aiming to cure it. I think it's only after 5 years though that someone is considered cured as the likelihood of the cancer returning is lower. 

My mum is in very good health otherwise apart from a mouth ulcer. My mum is busy rushing around, dating and worrying about everyone else. I worry more about my mum's cancer than she does! 

This is nice news to hear....I was recently diagnosed with Stage IV Adenocarcinoma that is incurable.....scary.  I started Immunotherapy of Tagrisso 6 weeks ago.  My next scan is next week, July 28th.  Hoping for good news.  My oncologist also said they are hopeful for a cure of this type of lung cancer.  Fingers crossed and hands in prayer :)  

Dear Mblarner I'm sorry to hear that you have lung cancer but glad to hear that the doctors are hopeful for a cure like with my mum. There seems to have been such a huge advance in treating lung cancer these past few years. Even the consultant who diagnosed my mum said that if my mum had lung cancer 10-15 years ago it would have been bad news. 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. Hopefully you, my mum and everyone else on here will have good outcomes and be long term survivors! 

• 1 year later...

I was diagnosed with stage 3a squamous cell lung cancer last March.  The tumor was 5 cm and was inoperable because it was located in the center of my right lung in the hilar region   I’ve been through 7 infusions of pacitaxel and carboplatin with 5 weeks of concurrent radiation.  The radiation oncologist told me the tumor had shrunk by 80% after my scan.  I’m now about halfway through immunotherapy (imfinzi) and the cavity has remained at about 1.6 cm.  I just had a scan and still have medium pleural effusion with some consolidation.  They did do a thoracentecis in October and removed one liter of pleural effusion.  It tested negative for malignancy and was caused by radiation.  I’ve had very few side effects except for fatigue after radiation and chemo but now I feel OK except for itchy skin sometimes and maybe a little joint soreness in the morning.

Webfoot,

Welcome here.

After reviewing your treatment history I conclude that everything is moving in the right direction, treatment wise. Immunotherapy appears to be working and the negative test on effusion malignancy is telling.

Stay in touch and let us know how future scans turn out.

Stay the course.

Tom

I am an inoperable Stage IV Survivor and will celebrate my 7th Cancerversary in March of 2022.  I was diagnosed in March 2015 with Stage IV NSCLC that had spread to my brain.  I have had a variety of treatments and am happy to now be NED (No Evidence of Disease) and I have been OFF all treatment for over 5 years!!   Immunotherpay was my life saver!  

Best wishes to you!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm an inoperable Stage IIIB survivor, diagnosed in October 2019. I had the same chemo and radiation treatments as you. My adenocarcinoma is caused by an EGFR gene mutation, so I take a daily targeted therapy drug for maintenance. Immunotherapy wouldn't be effective for me. I've been NED (No Evidence of Disease) since April 2021.

Radiation did give me pneumonitis that finally resolved after about a year. My primary doctor thought I was still clearing radiation from my system 2 years later. It just takes time. 

Best of luck to you for continued good results! 

Archived