Has anyone here had a pericardial window procedure?

Sabacat

It looks as if this is in my very near future.  In addition to the pleural effusion (that was drawn off a couple of weeks ago), I have a pericardial effusion that is getting too close for comfort to the point where it could cause cardiac tamponade.  While we hope it will go away once a successful treatment is under way, it is being recommended that we go forward with this "window" surgery to avoid having repetetive pericardiocentesis via needle.   Will see both the oncologist and surgeon on Monday morning, but am interested in hearing from anyone who may have experienced this so I'll have more questions lined up.   I am pretty sure, despite them calling it "minor" surgery, that it will require several days of hospitalization due to drains, watching for complications, etc.   It's probably a good use of the time while we await the molecular testing results, but wasn't on our original agenda. 

Thanks!

Susan 

I"m not familiar with that procedure, Susan, but I wouldn't necessarily assume that you will be in the hospital for several days. You can be sent home with a chest tube, I would assume--lots of us were sent home a day or two after our lobectomies. The doctors should be able to tell you when they anticipate you would be discharged if things go as planned. If they are calling the surgery "minor," then I doubt they are anticipating a several-days hospital stay. 

I just read about it, but could easily be another Google inaccuracy.  It appears that, since they’re actually cutting a hole in the pericardium, there is the possibility (small) of negative cardiac reactions/side effects like abnormal rhythms, blood clots, etc.  BUT if folks are going home that fast after lobectomies, then it seems logical that this would be no worse, and probably less so.

I think your own docs' predictions would be the most accurate. They know what's standard for them and the hospital where they practice. Of course, if there are signs of any problems it's always subject to change, but I'd ask what they think if all goes as planned.

So, just back from the trip to Duke to see Onc and Cardiothoracic surgeon.  NO pericardial window surgery for me yet! 😊  LOVED the surgeon AND her PA!!  She says that IF we have to do it, the hospital stay and recovery will depend on which approach she takes.  If there is additionally a substantial pleural effusion at that time, she is more likely to take the approach through right side in order to take care of that at the same time; if not, she would go in just below sternum and that is simpler and only one night in hospital and less pain, less recovery time.  Right now, it is ok for the pericardial effusion to be large because it has occurred gradually, so the pericardium is stretching.  If it happens rapidly, it is much more dangerous.  

To take care of my extreme anxiety about 'what if' and all the endless delays in getting things like echocardiograms done locally, she says I can call her if symptoms increase and she can always get me on the schedule immediately (it's a 4-hour trip for us, so she'd have some warning).  That made me feel a LOT better.  Also said that continuing like this would not do any lasting damage to the heart, which I had been concerned about. So, back two weeks from today for repeat echo and CT, meet with Onc who will then have the FndnOne results and a treatment plan, and with her to update where we are in terms of fluid burden.  Waiting again! Story of our lives, right? 😉

Archived