Radiation Questions

Guest KellyB

I recently joined this forum(newcomers section) and I am so fustrated with our doctors. While in the hospital for a staph infection, My father was told he has a tumor in his right lung(Recurrence) and spots on his trachea. His oncologist hyped us up on radiation to help his trachea to stop the chronic infections and now the radiologist tells us she cannot do it. Our only hope is chemo. I read countless posts and I do not remember anyone having success without radiation?! Please help, should we get a 2nd opinion? Thank you to all that responded to my introduction, glad to be a part of this wonderful community. Kel

Please do -- get a second, a third, and even a fourth opinion until you are satisfied with the information you are getting, and the type of treatment options match your willingness to be aggressive with the disease. Research yourself too, so you have knowledge to ask appropriate questions. What you are asking may just not be possible. So get another opinion and ask, ask, ask those questions.

Good luck to you, your dad and your family are in my prayers.

MaryAnn

Kelly,

Sorry I missed this post earlier. I don't know what to tell you except to keep asking asking and if asking isn't working then you must demand. I wish I knew more to tell you and had words that would comfort you. I just don't. But please know that you are in my thoughts and if there is anything any of us can do jsut keep posting.

Elaine

Guest KellyB

Thanks for responses. We have been told that radiation is out for my Dad's Lung(due to his poor condition of lungs) and the spot on the tachea is located adjacent to the esophagus, therefore the risks outway the possible benefits. We are going for a second opinion at Sloan Kettering 3/11. Meanwhile we are deciding whether or not to start chemo. My sister is researching clinical trials and we are so confused as to which way to go. With a clinical trial, the more treatment you've tried, it seems the less your eligibility. A choice must be made ASAP I would love some feedback if anyone would like to offer. My Dad remains upbeat and positive and just beat a staph infection and pneumonia. He can't wait to get back and babysit my 3 daughters(the light(s) of his life) Prayers and good wishes to all in the brave fight. Kel