Introduction- sooo long

Hi there, and welcome.

Sounds to me like the docs are doing everything they need to do. Some people go through several weeks of testing before they have a treatment plan. They are apparently waiting for molecular testing which will determine whether she can have the "pill" treatment (therapy targeted for a specific mutation), rather than chemo and/or radiation. These targeted therapies can be very effective but some have to (or should) be given before any other kind of treatment. Not everyone has a targetable mutation, though. I don't. I started off with chemo/immunotherapy, which worked for several months before the cancer became resistant. I'm starting a clinical trial tomorrow.

There probably isn't anything to schedule until they get those test results back. Depending on when the testing was done, it might be a couple of weeks. I don't know your in-laws or how old they are or how self-sufficient. Unless they are unable to manage this themselves, I'd just let them know you'd be happy to help them with anything they need and follow their lead. 

Thanks for the reply. I totally understand the need for testing before treatment. The doctor did some tests at the center and than ordered tests that will be done offsite, which my in laws have to schedule on their own. That's the part that I had a concern about. They are capable of taking care of themselves, they aren't terribly old and are very functional under normal circumstances, so I wouldn't normally be concerned. 

Yeah, I think a day is a tad pushy. A week, though, seems reasonable. What tests are they responsible for scheduling? Is she being seen at a cancer center? I believe MSK is in Middletown--or do they live somewhere else? I've been treated at two different cancer centers and they schedule everything for me--imaging, labs, other procedures. I like it because it's a lot less work for me. Occasionally I have to get pushy to get something done but for the most part they have been pretty prompt. I would presume they will do any molecular testing from the samples taken for the biopsy. 

My tests are normally scheduled at the oncologist office before I leave the office. Obviously, that isn't the case here. I would give them until Monday to kind 9f recover from the blow.

Archived