Surgery, finally!

Guest Ada

Dear Friends,

I was diagnosed with Stage IIIA/B NSCLC, Adenocacarcinoma on July 27, 2001. Throughout this ordeal, I was always told that my tumor was inoperable. I've been through 4 chemos, 2 with concurrent radiation, but nothing was working to shrink the problem tumor in my lower right lobe. I did have a 7 month complete response to one of the chemos, but then I had a recurrance. To make a long story short, my surgeon was surprised to see how healthy I still was after all the treatments and took my case to his tumor board. On January 10, 2003 I finally had surgery. I had a wedge resection of my lower right lobe. The tumor (almost the size of a lime) had grown into the vena cava, but the skilled surgeon was able to open up the vena cava, remove the tumor, and sew the vena cava back up. A radation oncologist then placed radioactive seeds (called brachytherapy) in the tumor area. I am very sore, but I am definitely on the mend. I have dr. appts. next week and will find out if I need further treatments. I feel very lucky right now.

I wanted to tell my story because I want everyone to know to keep hoping-always.

Love,

Ada

Hi Ada,

What great news, I was following your journey on the other board. My mom is stageIIIa also, and was told it was inoperable, so you have given me hope that maybe something can be done after all. She has had a response to both chemo/radiation. We are waiting to see what a repeat CT scan in March will bring.

I wish for you continued healing.

Fay

Hi Ada,

Welcome back!! WOW my friend, you have been through a LOT!!! THANK GOD your a fighter!!! :):) Your surgery really sounded for a lack of a better word, (interesting) I am soooo very glad all went as well as it did, and that you came through it in somewhat (flying colors)?!

Very VERY GLAD to have you back!!! Take it easy and get lots and lots of rest!!! We'll be waiting to hear all your updated news on how well your doing!! :)

Warm and Gentle Hugs,

Ada:

Congratulations on the outcome of the surgery. I will gladly share sore ribs with you. Just remember your quality of life and stay ahead of the pain curve. Almost five months after my last surgery, my 2nd surgery in 11 months, my ribs still "talk" to me. I consider it a reminder of what could have been. Welcome to the club of veteran thorocotomies. :D:D:wink:

Ada,

"This is the day the Lord hath made. Let us REJOICE and be glad"! It was uplifting to read your news...yours is a message of hope for so many of us. Take good care of yourself on the road to recovery. Remembering how I felf after surgery, it was selfless and kind of you to get the word out to us. Thanks for sharing.

Ada

I am so glad you were able to have the surgery, and that you're on the

road to recovery. I remember you from the previous board, and you

dancing at your son's (?) wedding.

I wish you a speedy recovery and future health and happiness.

JanetK

Ada, this is such good news. You go girl and keep on keeping on. Thank you for your thoughtfulness in posting your journey, it is an inspiration to me and God Bless you for you. :D:D:D