Continuing gastritis

Sallysh

hi. I have squamous cell lung cancer, recently diagnosed by Ct scan ordered by pulmonologist for my copd. I am receiving radiation and chemotherapy; cisplatin and VP 16. I am two weeks out from first chemo and halfway through the radiation.  I never vomited from the chemo but have continued nausea, especially at night. I do have have gerd and the oncologist  recommended I take omeprazole twice a day insof just once. It’s only been a couple of days but not really helping. I will start my second round next week. Anyone else have this issue

Sally,

Welcome here and Happy New Year!

Many of us suffer with GI issues during chemo. And if you had GERD before your treatment, chemo is not likely to improve your symptoms. Do I understand your medical oncologist suggests taking omeprazole twice a day instead of once?

Here are some questions to help me understand your difficulty. Did you have GERD before your lung cancer diagnosis? Were you symptom free for a period of hours/days after your infusion? Were you taking omeprazole before you started lung cancer treatment?

Stay the course.

Tom

Thanks. I did have gerd and took omeprazole once a day. I had nausea starting two days after chemo which responded to anti nausea meds. It got worse  What I’m experiencing now is not the same as before- no acid burn but just nausea in pit of my stomach. Yes it was my medical oncologist who recommended the two doses of omeprazole. 

Sally,

Are you taking an anti nausea prescription after your chemo? Are you taking the anti nausea medication in addition to omeprazole? Most of us have a nausea reaction starting about 2 days after infusion but these days, a wide range of anti nausea medications eliminate that symptom. 

Stay the course.

Tom

I was trying not to take the anti nausea drugs this week. But I went back today and started again. I actually have three. I can take the nausea if I have to but really want to be able to complete the chemotherapy. I did fail to mention I’m 75, which is not important really except I know the doctor is concerned about kidney stuff. 

I just realize what a non sequitur my reply was. I guess I’m just anxious and making the worst of what is not the worst. Thanks for your help. 

Sally, I had acid reflux from radiation, not chemo. It was heart attack-level pain. I was prescribed pantoprozole (Protonix). I also avoided dairy during that time and, of course, acidic foods because I also had esophagitis from the radiation. 

Acid reflux can also cause nausea, so take those anti-nausea meds (and remember to be proactive about constipation). Dramamine makes an OTC ginger chew for nausea, and ginger tea may also help.