Coral Calcium

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John

Good article, I would have to agree with it but I think they would of been alot more convincing to some people if they left Stephen Berretts opinion out of it. Stephen Barrett is the biggest quack on the net. If you call everybody in alternative medicine a quack then you are bound to be right sometimes. Thanks for the article.

Take Care

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I recently read an article on the use of COX-2 Inhibitors (Celebrex & Vioxx) as a complimentary medication used with chemotherapy. I found this info on cancernews.com. This therapy study showed some good progress in treating lung cancer. I had posted this info in another website and got a reply that a members sister-in-law was placed on this therapy by her oncologist. I would like to hear from others who might have heard of this, or are undergoing the same therapy. For those not familiar with this med, it is commonly prescribed for arthitis patients and has few side effects. Any information is most welcome. Later, Kentwisc.

Can you take coral calcium during radiation? I would like to give my mom alternative things to take, but scared to give it to her during treatment since I read that a person shouldn't certain things during raditation such as Vitamin A & C. Does anyone know more about this?

I think from what I can remember my moms onc advised against her taking any kind of antioxidant or herbal remedies(ie: essiac tea) until after her treatments were finished. I think they(meaning antioxidants etc.) work against what the chemo & radiation treatments do. Mind you my mom said as soon as she's finished with her treatments she's going to start right up on them.

Spanky- Now I'm a little worried. My mom has been drinking Noni Juice while going through radiation. I figured since it's a fruit that it was okay. I got the kind that is organic and 100% chemical free. Is that considered an anti-oxidant? I'm going to have her quit taking it. Do you think I caused problems for her radiation?

Natalie;

Sorry about that I didn't mean to worry you. I have actually purchased Noni juice & some Essiac Tea for myself and on the literature that comes with the products the company states that they are safe to take while receiving chemo & radiation treatments BUT, I think maybe just to be on the safe side you should probably consult with your moms doctor about it. I've read on a few different sites that it's ok to take antioxidants while receiving treatment, and then I've read the opposite to that on other sites so it's a very mixed opinion, kind of confusing.

What I CAN tell you about coral calcium is that I started taking it after watching the 'Bob Barefoot' infomercials on tv........This was several months ago. After a month of taking it, I no longer had to take motrin for my back (which by the way I was taking every day for like 10 years or longer!!).....I had made no other changes in anything, hadnt lost weight, or exercise, NOTHING!! And to this day, I still have no back pain. Im not sure if its the coral calcium, or the other trace minerals in it. Or maybe regular calcium would work also, but either way, I feel much better and Im gonna keep taking it.

My mom has stage IV NSCLC, so I of course have her taking the coral also, cant hurt!! If it helped my back (which seemed to be a hopeless case), maybe it can help my mom also. Just thought Id share my story.

p.s.. I now am just getting coral cacium from the health food store, its really no more expensive than calcium citrate, or other calciums. :D

Not using antioxidants is based on a theory. The theory has not been proven though. Some studies indicate antioxidants may help chemo and lessen side effects

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... t=Abstract

The use of antioxidants with first-line chemotherapy in two cases of ovarian cancer.

Drisko JA, Chapman J, Hunter VJ.

Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Gynecologic Oncology (J.C., V.J.H.), University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, Kansas.

OBJECTIVE: Because of poor overall survival in advanced ovarian malignancies, patients often turn to alternative therapies despite controversy surrounding their use. Currently, the majority of cancer patients combine some form of complementary and alternative medicine with conventional therapies. Of these therapies, antioxidants, added to chemotherapy, are a frequent choice. METHODS: For this preliminary report, two patients with advanced epithelial ovarian cancer were studied. One patient had Stage IIIC papillary serous adenocarcinoma, and the other had Stage IIIC mixed papillary serous and seromucinous adenocarcinoma. Both patients were optimally cytoreduced prior to first-line carboplatinum/paclitaxel chemotherapy. Patient 2 had a delay in initiation of chemotherapy secondary to co-morbid conditions and had evidence for progression of disease prior to institution of therapy. Patient 1 began oral high-dose antioxidant therapy during her first month of therapy. This consisted of oral vitamin C, vitamin E, beta-carotene, coenzyme Q-10 and a multivitamin/mineral complex. In addition to the oral antioxidant therapy, patient 1 added parenteral ascorbic acid at a total dose of 60 grams given twice weekly at the end of her chemotherapy and prior to consolidation paclitaxel chemotherapy. Patient 2 added oral antioxidants just prior to beginning chemotherapy, including vitamin C, beta-carotene, vitamin E, coenzyme Q-10 and a multivitamin/mineral complex. Patient 2 received six cycles of paclitaxel/carboplatinum chemotherapy and refused consolidation chemotherapy despite radiographic evidence of persistent disease. Instead, she elected to add intravenous ascorbic acid at 60 grams twice weekly. Both patients gave written consent for the use of their records in this report. RESULTS: Patient 1 had normalization of her CA-125 after the first cycle of chemotherapy and has remained normal, almost 3(1/2) years after diagnosis. CT scans of the abdomen and pelvis remain without evidence of recurrence. Patient 2 had normalization of her CA-125 after the first cycle of chemotherapy. After her first round of chemotherapy, the patient was noted to have residual disease in the pelvis. She declined further chemotherapy and added intravenous ascorbic acid. There is no evidence for recurrent disease by physical examination, and her CA-125 has remained normal three years after diagnosis. CONCLUSION: Antioxidants, when added adjunctively, to first-line chemotherapy, may improve the efficacy of chemotherapy and may prove to be safe. A review of four common antioxidants follows. Because of the positive results found in these two patients, a randomized controlled trial is now underway at the University of Kansas Medical Center evaluating safety and efficacy of antioxidants when added to chemotherapy in newly diagnosed ovarian cancer.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard about a special on one of the major T.V. stations, maybe ABC, CBS or NBC (can't remember which) where they looked into coral calcium. You might go to their sites and do a search for that story.