Lung cancer nodule biopsy

Iman

Hi everyone,

It is the first time I am writing in a forum. I am in search of some answers for my uncle who is a smoker for years and now is suggested to get a biopsy done on a lung nodule. 
 I need to find if the needle biopsy will also be able to provide the staging of the cancer or only for the cancer determination?
Also wondering if anyone can share a sample lung cancer biopsy report. Only need to understand the difference in the report details from biopsy for nodule diagnosis and a biopsy for lung cancer staging.

Thanks 

Hi Iman,

I’m sorry to hear about your uncle.  Biopsy is the gold standard for determining if cells are malignant.  Staging is a different story.  That is a determination made on the basis of tumor size, whether it has metastasized of not, any other involvement caused by the disease.  You can read more about staging in our Lung Cancer 101 section and the “Staging” article can be found here.  Stick around, read other posts to learn what survivors here have to share and read/learn all you can about this disease.  Please share any updates as your uncle goes through his diagnostic testing.

Lou

Iman,

Welcome here.

Some do share portions of scan reports and less often biopsy reports. The language of scans is complicated; biopsy results are straightforward. The biopsy will report if the node contains metastatic cancer cells or benign cells. Further, if metastatic cells are present, the biopsy will identify the type of cells. This examination is performed using a microscope. The pathologist can see the difference between the size and shape of cells and if cancer can classify the cells as small cell, large cell or non small cell. 

You mentioned staging. Staging speaks to where nodules are in the body. The article Lou suggests contains a complete discussion of staging. Staging is only important to determine if the nodule can be surgically treated or not. Stage I, II, and some forms of III can be treated by surgery. Stage IV cannot.

Stay the course.

Tom