After surgery question

I find myself obsessing over the chest tube they will put in on Monday when I have surgery. Doctor said it would just be uncomfortable which I’m ok with. My obsessing is over them taking it out (I didn’t ask surgeon). Do they do that right in your hospital room? Does it hurt? Do they have to stitch you up afterwards? Or maybe just put a butterfly type bandage on? Am I making it out to be way worse than it is? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Blossom,

Oh my, stop obsessing. I've had 6 chest tubes installed and removed after my 3 thoracic surgeries. Removal is a piece of cake. I experienced no pain. The surgeon installs a circular stitch around the hole opening during surgery. When the tube is removed, the ends of this stitch are immediately pulled sealing the whole without pain

Stay the course.

Tom

No pain for removal of mine either. I had heard stories of how painful it was. When the doctor was removing mine I asked "is it out already?" because I hardly felt anything-- I thought he was just getting ready to do it and it was done.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.