CAT Scan

I had my contrast CAT scan today and the results are abnormal. The fear is through the roof. I have an appointment with my GP on August 8th to go over it and find out what the next step is. My guess is it is likely cancer.

I did see my GP yesterday and she upped my Xanax from my normal dose of .25 once a day, to.50 3 times a day. It's barely taking the edge off. My BP is still through the roof even on BP meds and the extra Xanax. I am terrified.

I'm so glad your GP responded. And, I'm very sorry you are experiencing such horrible anxiety and fear. I understand; I bet most of us do.  

I went to an urgent care place to get a chest xray since I'd been coughing.  Initially the doc who saw me dismissed the white shadow as pneumonia and sent me on my way with a handful of prescriptions. He called me as I was getting into my car and asked me to come back in. Turns out, when a radiologist looked at the scans, he was thinking something different. Two days later, a CT scan confirmed "abnormal findings," which included a 4.5 centimeter mass "suspicious for malignancy.". A consult was scheduled with a thoracic surgeon for a week later, but an ice storm pushed it off another week. Like you, I sat with my "abnormal findings" for almost two weeks. 

The diagnostic process is excruciating; there is not one lung cancer survivor who will tell you anything different. Mine started at the end of February and I had my first treatment on April 1 (April Fool's Day, which I secretly thought was a hoot.) It was a lifetime. One of the ways I coped with my feelings was by writing about the events as they happened. I hear from some people that it's been helpful to them to read. Maybe it would be for you?

I can't lie; this is terrifying. But if we all got through it, you can too

If it gets to be more than you can bear, you can call your GP again, as many times as you need, you can go to the emergency department and ask for help there, you can canvas friends for names of counselors or look through Psychology Today for a potential match. 

You can do this. 

Thank you so much Karen for weighing in, it's very appreciated. I am sure I will do better when they have determined what exactly this is and how to treat it.

It is the limbo that is so difficult as you and Karen are talking about.  Once you have concrete info and then steps (even if the steps are get on with life b/c b9) it is soooo much better.  I had a preinvasive breast cancer 4 years ago.  There were several weeks in between diagnosis and surgery and it was hard.  My wait in between scans to determine these lung issues has actually been easier b/c there are such long times in between I just have to get on with it.  However, for a time after each scan I'm very much preoccupied.  It is difficult.  Check out some mindfulness and relaxation guided videos on YouTube - it's amazing what you'll find for these - so much variety.  Also check out apps like Insight Timer (free), Headspace and/or CALM.  These too offer guided mindfulness, relaxation exercises of various types.  Check out green and brown noise too....