CT Scan - contrast required?

TracyG

Hi all,

I had my first 6 month CT Scan today after a LL lobectomy, stage 1a. I am 61 years old and healthy otherwise but have small veins. They were unable to get a line in my vein for the contrast, despite repeated efforts. So I’m looking like a pin cushion and they were unable to complete the scan with contrast. My doctor was unavailable. Rather than wait to reschedule and possibly stress for another week or more, I told them to go ahead and do the CT without contrast. I will meet with my Oncologist tomorrow, but I was curious if follow up CT’s have to be with contrast in order to detect cancer cells? Anyone know?

Thanks,

Tracy

I've only undergone chest Ct's to figure out what's going on diagnostically so far.  Suspected adenocarcinoma though looks like another issue too.  Anyways I've never had contrast.  On another site I was on some time ago there was a mix of people with lung cancer where some had contrast with scans and others did not.  In fact kidneys can be at risk if one undergoes contrast (too) often - I'm not sure where that threshold is, if it varies, etc. though likely others on here will know.... I don't think contrast is necessary though can make some things easier to see? either way hoping your results are easily visualized and you are NED!

For a CT No.  It helps to make different parts stand out better to the person reading the scan. Tumors can be easier to miss without the contrast if the are small.

If it were a PET/CT then the in injection is required  of the radio tracer. Without the radio tracer its just a CT scan 

Make sure you're well hydrated next Time. 

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it! Hopefully it’ll be clear enough without the contrast. I’m always diligent about drinking a LOT of water before any blood draw, but it didn’t seem to help this time. I even jogged in place for a few minutes to see if it’d get my veins popping, but I only succeeded in looking like an idiot. 🙄

Tracy,

Like you I'm a hard person to draw blood from or put an IV into.  I once went for my annual scan (w/contrast) and after 7 pokes between two different people they called the doctor and he told them to go without the contrast rather than poking me an eighth time.  When I met with the doctor I asked about the lack of contrast and he told me that while contrast does some sharpening it is not enough to make the scan w/o contrast inaccurate or less diagnostically sufficient.  So, don't worry if they were to see any issue (no matter how small) and wanted to see more they can always redo the scan w/ contrast.

Lou

Thank you Lou, that’s a relief and good to hear. I’m sorry you have the same issues- it’s not fun, is it? The thing I remember the most of my lobectomy surgery at the hospital was the challenge getting and keeping IV’s in and the many pokes trying to draw blood. 

I meet with my Oncologist in an hour, but I already reviewed the CT and it shows no abnormalities. Yay! 

Thanks,

Tracy

Congrats on no abnormalities!!!!   Regarding regular blood draws keep a hot pack in mind, as well as butterfly needles - I'm there too.  Obviously hydration too as you and others already stated.  I have Raynaud's and they have used the hot pack on occasion tho more frequently the butterfly needles with me.  Also, prior to surgeries they should have an ultrasound machine that can hunt down a good vein.  They used that the last surgery I had before even trying to put the IV in.  Depending on your hospital some are able to use this for blood draws and infusions too though regular blood labs likely don't have these around.  

What a great article Tom, and so true! I have had times when I ask them to use a butterfly needle and they ignore my request and then proceed to poke me repeatedly. I now ask for whoever’s the best at drawing blood when I walk into a lab for a blood draw, rather than risking multiple attempts. When undergoing a routine procedure a few years ago that required an IV, 3 different nurses tried getting it in me and one gave me some topical numbing drug that I turned out being allergic to. Not fun!

Good luck with your upcoming surgery - thinking all positive thoughts and the ease of the IV!

Tracy