Guilt for the care I gave my mother at the end

Guest phyllisb

When I collapsed in the hospital from aspiration pneumonia, I was placed in a morphine induced coma and on a respirator. I felt no pain. I did know or care if I had food, which of course I did. I look back on it now as being a very peaceful time. My family had to make a lot of difficult decisions for me, so it seems the burden was on them more so than me. I could have died and wouldn't have known or cared. Sometimes the morphine would start to wear off and I would start to wake up which was confusing, but they would just put me back to sleep. I remember getting activan too and that was a nice peaceful feeling. I have now done a living will so that my family will not have the burden of making those type of decisions hopefully. It seems unfortunately the family members suffer the most afterwards trying to second guess themselves when for those who are gone the suffering is over.

Guest Laura

Dear All,

I too have had morphine. I was in a severe car accident and shattered a vertebre. I needed surgery, but could not have it immidiately. I was in EXTREME pain. They gave me quite a bit of morphine. It was a very peaceful and unusual drug. I knew what was going on around me. It is very hard to describe the feeling except for peaceful. I hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Anne,

I, too have read "Final Gifts" which someone said I should read from the American Cancer site. I went directly to 1/2 bay and bought it. It answered so many of my questions about end of life issues and hospice etc. It wasent a hard read for me but a very comforting one. My Mother who is 78 is here now and reading it and will go home to North Carolina and bring it to my other brother to read. I will become my brother's (whose picture is here below with me) primary caregiver in a few weeks and it has helped me so much to deal with all of this. Get the book!! It is a wealth of information and an eye opener. I guarentee it will answer all your questions!! God Bless you and your family. Mom knows you love her and you did what was best for her.

Anne,

Don't beat yourself up about the medicine you were giving your mom. Theresa is right, she was still able to go the bathroom and was aware of when she needed to go. So I would say she was aware of her surroundings and that you all were trying to do what was best for her...

You are always in my prayers...

Blessings,

Karen