THE THOMAS G. LABRECQUE CLASSIC - April 25 in NYC!

niececola

Hi,

I finally got in touch with someone at the foundation and gave them my name in the hopes of being able to volunteer. I spoke with a woman named Angie who is going to pass my name along to MSKCC and New York Road Runners, who are apparently managing the volunteers. I know a few people on-line have mentioned they are going to participate that day, Daggiesmom, Melinda, Christina, not sure who else. I told her I might have a few others that are interested in volunteering or that may walk/run on the day. So, hopefully I will hear from someone at MSKCC/NYRR very soon.

I will pass along any information as soon as I get it. If you are interested in volunteering, please let me know. Or if you have already spoken with someone at the foundation about volunteering, please let us know what you found out. And if you are planning on walking/running that day, maybe we can arrange to meet up afterwards.

Thanks,

Denise

Denise--

Please count me in. I have not yet heard back from them, and have been unable to proactively pursue reaching them b/c of the zillion things going on in my life with two moms fighting their respective cancers.

So, thank you for keeping us updated. Fell free to post or PM me any time. If I don't respond that day--I will shortly. It just means that I'm in a place w/o internet access for the time being.

Thanks.

Melinda

Guest Barbara Corbin

Hi. This is the first time I am posting. My Dad died of LC in Oct. 2000. We named the Classic after him in the hopes of raising funds for research and increasing public awareness about lung cancer.

I am so thrilled people are interested in coming on April 25th in Central Park. Please register on our website to run or walk (tglclassic.com). Afterwards, please stay for the Health Fair. We have many activities planned, including a letter-writing campaign to get the word to Washington, a Memorial Mural, and lots of kid's activities. It is a fun day designed to not only raise money, but get the word out there about lung cancer.

Please contact me at corbin@patmedia.net if you have any questions or want to volunteer. New York Road Runners is coordinating the "race" volunteers and Memorial Sloan-Kettering is coordinating the volunteers for the Health Fair.

The most special thing for me last year (at our inaugural event) was meeting incredible people who are affected by this awful disease, either as a family member, friend, or survivor.

I hope you will join us.

Barbara

Yeah! I left the website address with Angie at the foundation and she apparently forwarded it along to Barbara. Or maybe Barbara found it on her own, but nevertheless, she has found us and now we have information regarding the walk. I am going to volunteer that day, as I am actively looking for a group to work with in the days and weeks to come.

I am going to e-mail Barbara today. Please let me know if you would like to me to include you as a volunteer. If not, let's make arrangements to meet after the run!

Denise

Hi Friends,

I just spoke with Barbara and she needs some help with handing out brochures. Melinda, do you think you are going to run/walk that day, or perhaps volunteer? I think she is looking for a total of 4 people to help with this particular task, so please let me know if you are interested.

Christina, love the shirt idea! Any feedback yet? And I would really like to arrange a place for us all to meet. I might bring a balloon with me that day, I have found that technique very helpful when trying to locate people in a large group.

Denise

Denise, Melinda, Christina and anyone else who is coming,

Thank you so much for coming out to support lung cancer research and awareness.

Please find me to say "hello." I'll be wearing a sky blue TGL Classic shirt, dark brown hair, sunglasses (hopefully!), and probably a 2-year old on my hip.

I'll see you there!

Barbara

Hi Everyone,

I am sorry that I have not done a better job at keeping in touch the last few weeks and now here we are 2 days before the race and I don't know how to meet up with any of you. So, I thought I would let you all know that I am going to be volunteering at the end of the race, handing out brochures as the runners leave the race and get onto the line for food. And I will be wearing a "NYPD" hat, navy blue. I really hope we can all meet up, Christina, Melinda, Daggiesmom....

If you want my cell phone number, please PM me and I will gladly send it to you! Might make it easier to meet up.

See you Sunday!

Denise

Hi, all--

Sorry I have been MIA. Things have been a tad crazy, so I haven't been on the board for a few weeks the way I usually am. My apologies.

Geoff and I will be there tomorrow, as well. I will be wearing a kaki-green baseball hat that reads, "The Hideout", on the front and sunglasses.

I have also PM'd y'all both of our cell phone numbers.

I look forward to good weather and meeting all of you.

Sincerely,

Melinda

To everyone who came today:

Thank you so much for making the second annual Thomas G. Labrecque Classic special. It was a great turnout, and like last year, I met so many incredible people.

Denise, Melinda, Geoff, and Alisa,

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP! We couldn't have done it without you. I hope you had a good time, too. I'm so excited to work with you in the future. You can count on a phone call/e-mail asking for help again.

MANY THANKS!

Barbara

It's Angie from the Thomas Labrecque Classic. I'm so happy both of you were able to come out Sunday to help out and show your support. We were all very pleased that everything ran smoothly and it waited to rain until the run was over.

We were able to get a lot of signatures for the two petitions we had: 1. To president Bush and Congress requesting increased funds for lung cancer research 2. To Attorney General Ashcroft for Appropriation of Tobacco Settlement (federal) funds for lung cancer research. I had the opportunity to help in collecting signatures Thurs.-Sat. prior to the race also.

Denise, my prayers are with your mother. I will speak with both of you soon and I'm looking forward to teaming up with you this year. I always appreciate any thoughts or insights you have for me.

Take care!

-Angie

-For any of you unfamiliar with the TGL Foundation, you can check it out at www.tglfoundation.com

Christina--

Don't you dare beat yourself up! If there is one thing this site teaches all of us (not that we all listen all of the time :) !), it is that we MUST listen to our bodies and take care of our health (patients, caregivers, and former caregivers, all!).

I have been MIA in great part due to the fact that I have gotten strep throat and pneumonia from my fifth graders (at least I didn't get scarlet fever, like one of them!). So, even though I have 1,000,001 things to do, my school on my case for being out sick, and incredible guilt that I have "contaminated" Geoff so that he can't risk seeing his mom for a few days--my body is FORCING me to listen to it and REST.

The horrible part about it is that with the strep (hoarse) and the pneumonia (bad cough)--I sound so much like Geoff's mom does now. He used to come home to get a break from that stressful, worrisome sound--and now he is trapped with me making it (albeit, in a far less serious situation).

The poor, poor man.

My point is, though, Christina--you did the RIGHT thing. We did miss meeting you--but there will be other opportunities (when we are both well!).

I hope you are feeling beter.

Melinda