New to board, need PCI info

S. Jane

Hi, just found this board which was recommended to me from someone on the ACS board. My father has recently completed chemotherapy and radiation treatment for limited stage small cell lung cancer. In 2 weeks he will be getting the necessary PET, CAT and MRI scans to see how the treatment worked. If he is in remission, he will then have to decide if he wants to have PCI (prophylactic cranial irradiation) to his brain. I have been able to obtain little information about PCI, and would love to find someone who has decided for and against it, and the reasons. I would also like to know the % of people who have brain metastisis when they have lung cancer. Also, for those of who who have not had PCI, have there been noticable chemo-brain dementia over time? And a puzzling question for a non medical person, when you administer PCI, what the heck are you radiating if there isn't anything there?

thank you.

Do a search on this board for PCI. There is some info on PCI on this board.

Also Search on google using "SCLC PCI"

"prophylactic cranial radiation"

Basically, there is about a 5.4% increase in overall survival. It is supposed to work a little better in women from what one study said.

Even if nothing is detected on a MRI, there still could be "micrometastasis" - small metastasis that can not be seen with current technology.

http://www.guideline.gov/summary/summar ... oc_id=3459

Dear S. Jane,

Please go to the SCLC FORUM on the Board here, and click on it. All that you are looking for should be in that Forum. Many of the members here have asked the same questions you are. Your not alone!

Sorry you have had the need to find us, but I'm also glad we can be here for you.

God Bless,

Jane, I just wanted to welcome you to the board. John and Connie gave some very sound advice, let us know how things are going. I am sorry that your dad was Dx, but am VERY glad you found us. In the meantime, he will be in my thoughts and prayers that the scans are all clear. Keep us posted. Take care, Deb