Info for California Caregivers.....

SB 1661 - California's Paid Family Leave Insurance Program, also known as "Temporary Family Disability", is now law and goes into effect on July 1st, 2004.

You can take a maximum of 6 weeks of paid benefits per 12 month covered period "to care for a seriously ill child, spouse, parent, domestic partner, child of a domestic partner, or to bond with a new child."

The program is funded by an increase in your State Disability Insurance deductions that went into effect back in January of this year.

Check into it by contacting the California Employment Development Department (EDD) at 1-877-238-4373, or check out the web site at www.edd.ca.gov

Fay,

What did it use to be? Although I could take a 3 month leave, I only received 3 days pay for taking care of my mom and I had to use all my vacation time. I just want to make sure I didn't miss the boat on anything.

What a great thing they have done. I know it would have made everything easier and less stressful. I lost 2 weeks of pay in addition to vacation and sick time.

Neither of my children live nor work in California, but some times we just get it right here. We get our share of abuse for being in the land of fruits and nuts etc., but I am proud to be a Californian. This not only seems fair to me but overdue!

Margaret