Has anyone else seen diagnosis like this?????

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

I posted under General, topic WRONG DIAGNOSIS but I thought I would post here to see if anyone with NSCLC has received this diagnosis. Please notice comment.

M.D. Anderson DIAGNOSIS

POORLY DIFFERENTIATED CARCINOMA, FAVOR NON-SMALL CELL CARCINOMA (See Comment)

COMMENT: Submitted immunohistochemical stains are reviewed and the results are as follows: cylokeratin 7-positive, cytokeratin 20-negative, Kermix-focally positive, CD56 positive

The finding of CD56 suggests neuroendocrine differentiation. This raises the possibility of a possible large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma.

---------------------------------

Original Diagnosis from local hospital

DIAGNOSIS:

RIGHT UPPER LOBE OF LUNG MASS BIOPSY: SMALL CELL CARCINOMA OF LUNG (SEE COMMENT)

COMMENT: The tumor cells are immunoreactive for CK7, CD56 and negative for CK20, LCA. This immunostaining profile is consistent with a small cell carcinoma of lung primary."

Cat

Sorry about that diagnosis, I have personally never seen anything like that. My experience with radiology and lab diagnoses is that they put down every possibility as a CYA, so that no one can come back later and accuse them of missing something. So hopefully, thats whats going on with this diagnosis, although I am sure your oncologist will want further tests. My prayers are with you bud!

Leo

M.D. Anderson DIAGNOSIS

POORLY DIFFERENTIATED CARCINOMA, FAVOR NON-SMALL CELL CARCINOMA

COMMENT: Submitted immunohistochemical stains are reviewed and the results are as follows: cylokeratin 7-positive, cytokeratin 20-negative, Kermix-focally positive, CD56 positive

The finding of CD56 suggests neuroendocrine differentiation. This raises the possibility of a possible large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma.

Original Diagnosis from local hospital

DIAGNOSIS:

RIGHT UPPER LOBE OF LUNG MASS BIOPSY: SMALL CELL CARCINOMA OF LUNG

COMMENT: The tumor cells are immunoreactive for CK7, CD56 and negative for CK20, LCA. This immunostaining profile is consistent with a small cell carcinoma of lung primary."

Cat,

It appears that they've pretty much seen the same things and came up with a different diagnosis. Local hospital showed a negative LCA test where MDA showed a positive "Kermix-focally". I see your post about an old bunny dying while the Kermix/Bozo testing was going on - in the late 1980s. I would not hold a lot of stock in that old of information on a type of test if it's being used by a hospital you feel is five years ahead of other cancer institutions...

One thing I have read on the research issues is that things that DIDN'T work years ago are being tried again (when $$ permits) with different variables and some are working. Don't disregard something on what someone did in the 1980s, they coulda been on crack! :shock:

I may be wrong, but I think I read that Iressa was passed over by researchers in this country and developed more "off shore"...thank goodness there's other folks out there to pick up the slack when the U.S. drops the ball!

Now, come away from the 'Net...you are doing yourself more harm than good... I've been there, my most anxious nights were after scanning statistics for what I was diagnosed with...stop searching for now. As was suggested, print out some of the things haunting you now and talk to a doctor about them. For one, it will help decipher what it all means...

Take care,

Becky

Yeah, Snowflake, I think you're right. The net can help but too much net with too much old info can cause confusion and trouble.

Cat

I think Becky is right. Kermix, BTW, is a keratin stain. So the two confirmed each other. The "art" of pathology may have made them come to different conclusions. The word"favor" indicates a degree of uncertainty in the M.D. Anderson diagnosis - which I interpret as just being honest. Time to move on and fight this thing. You can do it! - Teresa

Cat,

Diagnostic are hard sometimes for define exactly what kind of

cancer a person face.

I do not have LC, I have breast cancer and the slides had to

be sent to Switzerand to the best pathologist to find exactly

what kind of cancer I had and how to treat it, (no treatment).

So when my husband got LC, we had to get 2 different pathologist

to find out exactly what kind of LC he had, I would not accept only

one reading and I was right, there was a mistake.

Good luck with your treatment.

J.C.