Alissa and/or John: Pls Help!

Rich posted an article in the LC in the News forum about a Chinese herbal remedy being tested in Canada in a clinical trial. The chinese name for it is Zeng Sheng Ping; I could not find it for purchase. Berissa, do you know what I am talking about? Supposedly a company has put the indgredients into pill form for sale, but I could not find it.

I did find the patent application; Here is the link:

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Par ... %3B%22&OS="

Any help tracking this down would be appreciated.

elaine

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

I'm having trouble finding anything on that. What I did find that contained the ingredients noted was called TJ-135, aka Inchin-ko-to. I think it's Japanese.

Here's a link to a great, free search engine that you can download

http://www.copernic.com/

Here's a link to the article I found. I have no idea if it's the same thing. :oops::(

http://www.clinsci.org/cs/099/0421/0990421.pdf

Cat,

No that's not it. Here is some other info I found, but I am mostly interested in trying to purchase the herb mixture.

Cancer chemopreventive activity of a mixture of Chinese herbs (antitumor B) in mouse lung tumor models.

Zhang Z, Wang Y, Yao R, Li J, Yan Y, La Regina M, Lemon WL, Grubbs CJ, Lubet RA, You M.

Department of Surgery and The Alvin J Siteman Cancer Center, Campus Box 8109, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 South Euclid Avenue, St Louis, MO 63110, USA.

Antitumor B (ATB), also known as Zeng Sheng Ping, is a Chinese herbal mixture composed of six plants. Previously, clinical studies have shown a significant chemopreventive efficacy of ATB against human esophageal and lung cancers. In the present study, A/J mice harboring a dominant-negative p53 and/or heterozygous deletion of Ink4a/Arf and treated with benzo[a]pyrene were used to investigate the chemopreventive effects of ATB on chemically induced lung tumorigenesis. Mice with various genotypes treated with ATB displayed a significant reduction in lung tumor multiplicity and tumor load. Treatment with ATB resulted in an approximately 40% decrease in tumor multiplicity and a 70% decrease in tumor load in both wild-type mice and in mice with a loss of the Ink4a/Arf tumor suppressor genes. Interestingly, ATB decreased tumor multiplicity and volume by 50 and 90%, respectively, in mice with a dominant-negative p53 and in mice with both a p53 mutation and deletion of Ink4a/Arf. Kras2 mutation analysis of the lung tumors revealed that tumors harbored mutations in the 12th codon of Kras2. There were no differences in either the incidence or types of mutations between tumors treated with or without ATB. Oligonucleotide array analysis revealed 284 genes that were differentially expressed in mouse lung tumors as compared to the normal lung, and it was found that 114 out of these 284 genes changed their expression toward the normal levels in tumors treated with ATB. Most of the genes modulated by ATB belong to several cellular signaling pathways, including Notch (Notch homolog 2, manic fringe homolog), growth factor (FGF intracellular-binding protein, PDGFalpha), G protein-Ras-MAPK (MAPK3, MAP3K4, rab3A, Rap1, RSG5, PKCtheta), ubiquitin-proteasome (CDC34, Cullin1, 26S proteasome), and apoptosis (BAD promoter, caspase 3). These results suggest that ATB is an effective chemopreventive against mouse lung tumorigenesis. Furthermore, ATB exhibited an enhanced inhibitory effect in animals harboring genetic alterations (Kras2, p53, and Ink4a/Arf), which are often seen in human lung adenocarcinomas.

PMID: 15021904 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Elaine,

I have never heard of this, but here is more info. Hopefully it is really a good thing and not a scam. I have only spent a few minutes reading, so I don't have an opinion yet - but it seems fairly good

To help with your searches - what I usually do is get an article and then search for similar names like ZSP or search for the author or scientists name. Then I try to find more hits, read the articles and put new keywords in to find related info. Hope this helps

http://www.pfc.ca/Eng/Library/grant%20s ... t%20EN.pdf

http://www.researchers.vchri.ca/s/Resea ... rtID=69169

ACAPHA is another name for ZSP

http://www.bccrc.ca/ci/lc02_title.html

http://www.bccancer.bc.ca/ABCCA/NewsCen ... dicine.htm

One warning. I have been investing in stocks for a while and Canada has been know for a lot of scams related to stocks. Canada was also the place of origin for a "vitamin mixture" to cure bipolar disorder. I don't believe from the evidence (though it was VERY convinving) that this mixture works.

I am not saying don't try these different treatments - I am just saying a healthy dose of skepticism is good.

Take care

• 4 weeks later...

Elaine,

I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but your post reminded me of another old post of mine from some mushroom research I did. I cut and pasted out some stuff from an old post, taken from Dr. Andrew Weil's monthly newsletter:

Take supplements (I found this interesting). He talks about two medicinal mushrooms showing promise for people with lung disease. One is called Cordyceps, which research suggest may improve lung function. He suggest Zhu Ling for people with lung cancer, which "has been shown to stimulate an immune response against lung tumors and increase the efficacy of chemo and radiation.

He recommends a reliable Zhu Ling product made by the Eclectic Institute (800-332-4372) and a good source for Cordyceps is Fungi Perfecti (www.fungi.com)

HOWEVER -- he also recently had an article in Prevention Magazine discussing a similar subject, and recommended "Host Defense", a supplement by New Chapter, which contains Cordyceps, Zhu ling and Ling zhi mushrooms, which are available at many health food stores.

Hebbie,

Thanks for that good information. Have you tried the mushrooms?

Anyway, I went back up and found the herbs that are in the mixture from the patent application.

The herbs are as follows:

Preferred compositions of the invention contain the herbal ingredients Sophora tonkinensis, Polygonum bistorta, Prunella vulgaris, Sonchus brachyotus, Dictamnus dasycarpus Turcz, and Dioscorea bulbifera.

I am getting myself so confused looking for this, so I imagine anyone reading the thread is just as confused as I am....more so....

Is it because they are doing trials on something that someone is also trying to get a patent on that they are using all kinds of confusing terms and differing names for the same thing? Trying to protect their interests?