Celexa Antidepressant Questions

Guest DeeHee

Guest DeeHee

I got a prescription for Celexa, now I'm afraid to use it. Am I messing too much with my brain if I take them? Are they habitforming? Any side-effects common? (I took one 2 days after chemo and wanted to sleep all day and felt yucky. Maybe it was the chemo rather than the Celexa?) I know the drug store and the doctor wouldn't have prescribed something unless it went with chemo drugs and other medications, but ...............

DeeHee

Hi Dee,

Anti-depressants take 2 weeks to really kick-in because it is altering your brain chemistry. Your pharmicist should have printed you something out with the side-effects info etc. You are probably feeling the effects of chemo and the anxiety from it all, but you should direct your concerns to your doctor or atleast the doc's nurse. It is always better to be safe than sorry. When I talked to my dads doctor about my concerns regarding possible addiction to pain killers and anti-depressants he said, "Let's get him better, we will worry about that if/when that happens". There are genes that have been identified in people who are more proned to addictions than others but it isn't like you can just pop into your doctors office and get genetic testing. So make sure you talk to your doc with your concerns Dee, you have enough to worry about!

Kathi

Lucie was put on Celexa when she started treatment and she is still on it. She takes half a pill in the morning and half a pill at night. She believes it helps her, and I don't think it is addictive. It is hard to comment on the sleep because she takes other things that have that side effect. Don

Hey Dee Hee,

Well my friend your mind IS playing tricks with you already regarding your Celexa! :wink: No two ways about it my dear, your chemo is what made you tired. I'll bet if you asked your doctor he would tell you the same thing. And as for Celexa, it takes a good 4 yes (FOUR) weeks before it starts to do the trick. HABIT FORMING????? NO No no! Sweetie they are very careful these days when it comes to habit forming drugs. NOT TO WORRY! Your getting yourself all worked up over nothing my dear. Your not going to turn into a wet wash cloth, or not know what your doing. That's not how these med's work. You'll be very aware of all the things going on around you. You just won't get all shook up over some things is all. Like, living with cancer! Don't worry about the side effects. Just wait and see. You may not have any of the side effects, but if you look for them, then you just might fine some! :wink: So, don't look to hard. I was on Celexa for over a year after I lost my son 4 years ago, and it was a GOD SEND! It got me through some very very rough times. You'll be just fine. How many MG are you on. I was on 20 at first then cut back to half a pill or 10 mg a day for the last 6 months or so. I never had any side effects.

Wish you could have made it to our Lung Cancer Support Group meeting last Tuesday night, because we were talking about Anti-depressants, and you would have gotten a lot from what was shared. I hope you will think about coming to a meeting soon. I think you will fine them very helpful and comforting. Your hubby too! Our next day meeting is the First Tuesday July 6th at 1:00 P. M. at Regions Hospital in St. Paul, Free parking and goodies for all that attend.

Take care and you'll do just fine.

Love & Hugs,

Connie B.