PET scan question re SUVs

stand4hope

I've seen the report of my husband's PET scan (but not the CT). Overall, his SUVs (Standardized Uptake Value) are down (average 6 to 4.9). Does SUV measure the intensity? and what does that mean exactly? Size of mets doesn't appear to have changed and I'm wondering what the overall impact of reduced SUVs means. Is the cancer actually weaker? There are couple of really large mets on his spine that are "4" and they really concern me because they are so big, and also there is a very large ring around the heart that lit up where the pericardial effusion is that is really scary looking. The first report talked about it, this current report did not. I don't have a previous measurement in SUVs on the two spine mets or the pericardial effusion, so I don't know if those measurements are down or not. No pain (GOOD THING!). We meet with onc late this afternoon to get official results and CT results, but would like to be prepared with some knowledge about what SUV really means to ask questions. Anybody?

Thanks ahead!

Love,

Peggy

I thought SUV was for sports utility vehicle, so that shows how clued in I am on this. If your husband has two large tumors on his spine, I'm wondering why they have not been treated with radiation to reduce or remove them. I would think even without pain they would threaten the integrity of the spine. Don

SUV as you stated means Standaradized Update Value. PET scans measure the metabolism using glucose uptake. Since cancer "eats" sugar at a higher rate it shows up on the PET scan with a higher SUV.

SUV is the value that is assigned to the amount of glucose uptake or you could say the rate the cancer is eating the sugar (not really but it illustrates what is happening)

A decrease in SUV I think is a good thing. From what I remember a SUV of 2.5 is the cutoff for when something is considered malignant

You definitely want the SUV to go down.

Thank you, John. I did see your post right before I left for the appointment and was happy to have this information.

Don. That is a good question, and one that we asked on our last visit to the radiation oncologist. The radiation oncologist said there will be no radiation unless there are problems (i.e., pain) because the spine can only take a limited amount of radiation. Too much radiation and the spinal cord can be seriously and permanently damaged. In other words, if they radiate now and there is trouble/pain later, there could be little if any radiation that could be given for the pain.

We met with the onc. I'll report in Test Time forum.

Thanks again.

Love,

Peggy