temodar?

randired

My moms oncologist told us that she is going to concentrate on the tumors in the brain. So right now she is doing radiation to the brain and the temodar. I will do some research, I was hoping to get some first hand expierences. Unfortunately there are people who can actually tell me this.

Temodar has become the standard treatment combined with radiation for treatment of malignant brain tumors. A small randomized trial suggested that temodar combined with radiation was more effective than radiation alone for nsclc with brain mets:

http://www.asco.org/ac/1,1003,_12-00264 ... 224,00.asp

At these doses the drug is phenomenally non-toxic, I've treated even very elderly (late 80's) patients with this regimen with minimal problems. Can rarely effect blood counts and have to watch liver enzymes. Nausea has not been an issue (although radiation of the brain itself can certainly make you nauseous).

Having said this, I think this should still be considered investigational, there is a large national trial looking at whether temodar plus radiation really is better, don't know yet what kinds of consequences on brain function with this combination, etc.

Randi,

My husband was on Temodar for a few months. He took 3 a day for 5 days and then no Temodar for 23 days and started all over again.

His only side effect was nausea and vomiting after the first pill. With the doctors permission, he took a compazine with the Temodar each time. I think this helped.

I wish your mother success on this regime.